jayfb

Towing An Equinox

Hi all,

I am a new RV owner and doing my first cross country trip in June. I own a 2006 AWD Chevy Equinox that we plan on towing behind us during the trip. I have reached out to Chevy about how to tow it behind my RV, and they were not much help. I went to a local RV dealer who told me I had to disconnect the drive shaft or I would burn out my transmission, because the wheels would turn it and cause my trans fluid to overheat and burn it up.

After spending a few hours on this site I see other people who talk about towing their Equinox without ever talking about disconnecting their drive shaft.

If anyone could provide me with any info on this subject that has done it that would be great. My direct questions would be:

Do I have to disconnect my drive shaft if I flat tow? If I used my tow dolly would I still have to disconnect my drive shaft because the back wheels would still be spinning because of the AWD?

Where can I find out what fuses need to be pulled when towing?

Thanks any help

Jason

To the best of my knowledge, the 2006 Equinox AWD is not towable 4-down and requires a flatbed trailer (not a dolly). Later years of Equinox had a different transmission and AWD system, but the early ones were not towable. Even the FWD equinox was not towable in 2006, but you could use a tow dolly with that model.

The Equinox is not included in the FMCA Dinghy Tow Guide for 2006. Also, I checked the Remco web site and their listing agrees with what I remember, so am fairly confident I am right about this.

http://www.remcoindustries.com/Towing/Store.php

Welcome to the forum. When you are looking and thinking of using your dolly be very careful as some all wheel drives can't be towed on a dolly. I just went through the same deal. I had a 2012 Civic that couldn't be towed 4 down so I used a dolly. When I was looking at my new toad a 2014 CRV it is all wheel drive and can't be towed on a dolly. Good luck in your search for a towed.

I could not imagine going on a big trip without a towed you would miss so much.

Bill