tilldee

SlingBox "Your TV Anywhere"

Thinking of investing in the "SlingBox" so we can take our cable TV listings with us, if we have WiFi, which is mostly everywhere these days.

Has anyone else used this setup? Would love to hear some feed back before we make the investment.

Thanks,

Tilldee

Never heard of this before so I'm looking into it also. Big red flag for me is the WIFI because most camp grounds we have been at you could never stream anything over the coverage they offer and forget about HD. I'm gonna research some more though because it looks interesting. I'll get back with anything I find.

If you have ATT universe, Dishnetwork, Commcast you can watch all your channels on your smart phone. I can hook up my iphone with a hdmi adapter to my 40" led television.

Again as Newbie mentioned you have to have bandwidth. Fortunately I still have the ATT grandfathered unlimited data plan. Although after 5 gig you get warning e-mails that they are going to slow you down because you are using too much data.

We were in the Rio Grande Valley this past December and our Dishnetwork was past our local channel coverage area. In order to watch the Texans one Sunday I hooked up the iphone to the led. We also watched some local news.

You can also use your smartphone on wifi if you have a fast enough connection.

Jaime

Jamie you are fortunate to have unlimited data plan. I don't believe there is anyone who provides that any longer. The initial investment with a SlingBox is around $150. After setup, you just continue to pay your cable bill at home and you can receive all in your coach provided you have a WiFi connection. I like the fact that I won't have to pay any monthly fees, but will be able to use my cable that I pay for at home, when we are on the road.

I feel the campgrounds are getting better and better with providing WiFi service as they know that is what their customers want. Thanks for your info and I am going to check into using my smartphone a lot more than I do. Probably need to ask my grandkids how. :unsure::wub:

With dishnetwork the slingbox is built into the receiver. It works well as long as you have good bandwidth at your home or where you are watching it.

Jaime

Thanks Jamie. We do not have Dish, we have the local cable company, TimeWarner. Since I'm already paying them, I sure would be a happy camper if I could get my cable channels in the coach when we are out. Guess it's looking like it all boils down to the bandwidth of where we will be staying.