johntelling

Foot Catches On Steering Column Boot

I have wide feet, but I can't believe that I am the only one who had had this issue: on our Fleetwood Excursion's steering column, there is a corrugated boot at the bottom. Occasionally, when braking, my foot catches on this boot, which is a little disconcerting.

Has anyone else experienced this, and does anyone have a solution? I wonder if it is possible to replace the boot with something without the corrugations?

JT

The distance between the brake pedal and the doghouse is just barely wide enough for my shoe to get to the gas pedal. The problem with this I worry about is catching my shoe on the brake pedal while taking it off the gas and trying to get it on top the brake pedal which would be a real disaster. I wonder if anyone has a fix for a problem like this? Like you, I can't believe I'm the only one with a problem like this.

Some coaches have the dust boot. 07' Winnebago DP and 11' Allegro Bus DP had it and it can get scary when you push on it rather than the brake! My current coach does not have it.

Call Fleetwood and ask if it would hurt to cut it off! I think it's main purpose is ascetic.

Carl

Carl,

Thanks for your response. My experience with talking to Fleetwood has not instilled me with confidence in them, so I think I will cut it off and see what is underneath. I suppose I can always put it back on.

I wonder if there is a universal joint under the boot?

JT

I would think that would be lower...do you have any mechanical schematic off chassis? Owners manual should show dash, steering, etc., you could also try to google for a parts manual off cassis!

If you cut it off and need to replace it, pull it tight or use a plumbers rubber sleeve that is slit in half length wise and hold it in place with 2 worm gears.

Luck...

Well, I performed minor surgery, and there is, in fact, a UJoint under the rubber boot. Even if I put up with looking at the UJoint, there is also a large hole so I would be able to see the road between my feet as I drive.

Since I was weaned on early English Morris's and Fords that doesn't bother me too much, but I think I will cover it back up and maybe tape over the whole issue to try to smooth out the corrugations.

Thanks for the suggestions, though!

I would get something to just cover the hole, but still have access to joint if you need to get to it....rubber gasket and a round or square piece of carpet.