hermanmullins

400 Cummins ISL Starter

We have a 400 Cummins ISL in our 2002 Dynasty. I recently had problems starting and finally found that both chassis batteries were bad. While in Madison when we were preparing to leave every idiot light came on but nothing from the starter. After returning from breakfast I hit the key and the engine started. No more problems for 5 days. Then the same thing.

When I was having the problem before, I went as far as pulling the 55 lb. starter (not easy for someone my advanced age). I pulled the solenoid and cleaned the contacts then bench tested the starter. Is tested fine.

My question is should there be some sort of lube on the plunger of the solenoid? My thinking is my solenoid is weak or my need lubricating. I plan on replacing the solenoid but wanted your thoughts.

Herman

Herman, You might try some Multi-Purpose Lub. With some PTFE in it. Super Lube part number 31110 comes to mind, but there are others with PTFE's in them.

The other item to check is the relay powered when you turn the key to the start position. Often located near the Starter with light Gage wires running to the coil and heaver wires running to the solenoid.

Quick test is to use a jumper cable and run it between the starter solenoid and a good positive connection. If the starter spins up good then the other relay could be the problem and it is a lot smaller to work with.

I have connected a jumper cable to the battery and from under the coach tap the other end to the starter solenoid. NOW if the key is on or in the run position when you do this and the engine starts -it can be startling.

Work safe !!!!!

Rich.

Thanks Rich, been there done that, before we bought a coach, I couldn't even spell solenoid, probably still couldn't if it wasn't for spell check. As I said since I will pull the solenoid off the starter I will replace it but thanks for the lube information.

Herman