Sign in to follow this  
smarksel

Cummins ISC 350 Oil Consumption

I have a 2001 Safari with the ISC 350 Cummins motor. I'm having to add about a quart of oil every 2000 to 2500 miles. I do not notice any power loss and there are no drips, however there is some oil residue on the breather hose under the motor.

I'm told by the Cummins shop the this is not of great concern but would like to know if anyone else is experiencing this and what they are doing (if anything) about it.

Steve

Steve,

A quart every 2000- 2500 miles is not excessive for an 8.3 liter diesel.

BUT, I would suggest that at the next oil change that you CALIBRATE THE ENGINE OIL DIP STICK. Cummins did not supply the dip stick. You want to VERIFY that you are not overfilling the crankcase and then the engine is just sending it out the crankcase breather. The cost is zero. Let us know if you need instructions.

Agreed. A quart or so is not much. Have you tried just letting it be a quart low? Even with calibrated dip stick, I have had engines that will use some oil all the time, IF I try to keep them at the full mark. If I let them stay near the LOW mark, the oil consumption drops A LOT.