windchaser

Microwave oven recall

My 2004 Gorgie Boy Class A 24.5-foot RV has a Samsung microwave insatlled over the stove. The unit is in recall due to the unit starting up without programming. Kind of scary having your microwave start without anyone progranming the unit to start. The recall is on the Internet under the Samsung microwave recall. It is on units installed in RVs from 2000 to 2009. Better check the units in your RV NOW.

If you have one of these units listed, don't leave it plugged in until it can be repaired by Samsung. I am still awaiting for Samsung to tell me where to take it for repair or replacement.

JIM MOORE

Catawba, NC

My 2004 Gorgie Boy Class A 24.5-foot RV has a Samsung microwave installed over the stove. The unit is in recall due to the unit starting up without programming. Kind of scary having your microwave start without anyone programming the unit to start. The recall is on the Internet under the Samsung microwave recall. It is on units installed in RVs from 2000 to 2009. Better check the units in your RV NOW.

If you have one of these units listed, don't leave it plugged in until it can be repaired by Samsung. I am still awaiting for Samsung to tell me where to take it for repair or replacement.

JIM MOORE

Catawba, NC

Jim,

Good information. Thanks for the post.

Do you have a link to the recall or a number for those with Samsung microwaves to call?

Brett Wolfe

Do you have a link to the recall or a number for those with Samsung microwaves to call?

Information from http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/recallsearch.cfm (search for Campaign ID Number 04E031).

Manufacturer: Samsung Electronics

NHTSA Campaign ID Number: 04E031

Potential Number of Units Affected: 117,157

Summary:

Samsung microwave ovens installed in recreational vehicles for microwave cooking, models MR1031WB, MR1032BB, MR1033SB, MR1352BB, and MR1351WB, manufactured May 1, 2000, through September 30, 2003. These units were produced with a defective membrane panel.

Consequence:

An electrical short can occur causing the oven to activate without pressing any key pads. This could result in excessive heat, smoke, or possibly a fire.

Remedy:

Samsung will notify its customers and repair the panel free of charge. In the meantime, consumers should unplug their microwave, if possible. If the consumer is unable to unplug the microwave, they should leave the door ajar until the membrane panel is replaced. Consumers should never use the microwave oven for storage or leave any towels, paper, cloth or other products in the microwave after use. Owner notification began September 18, 2003. Owners who take their vehicles to an authorized dealer on an agreed upon service date and do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact Samsung service division headquarters at 800-932-3837.

Notes:

Also, customers can contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s auto safety hotline at 1-888-dash-2-dot (1-888-327-4236).