phxrainey

Is Over 40' To Big?

We are about to upgrade from a trailer to a Class A Diesel Pusher. What I have noticed is there are a lot of 42' models we like for sale used (Newer 2013-Current) and NO 38-40' used models for sale in the same age range.

My question is are people finding the longer (+2-5') is an issue of some type?? Campgrounds unable to accommodate? Issues with the Tag Axle?

Looking for opinions/rumors you may have heard.

Thanks

Do you need that additional space ?

I own a 40' and it proved to satisfy all my needs for long stays and on the road.

Many camp ground can not accommodate RV over 40.

Is the RV you are planning to buy fully electric (i.e no propane). I love propane: no need to use the gene each time you need the oven and less expensive batteries bank.

If you are planning to buy a used RV, ask for the maintenance history (whether from the manufacturer for warranty claims or from the previous owner). it will help identifying lemons.

Very few campgrounds that can not accommodate a 42 foot, a few more that can.t a 45'er. Tag axles are not a problem on most units, although I have heard of a few on some lesser expensive brand/models that have had some problems with cracked frame members, again, "cheaper" models. If you ever drive a rig with tags, you probably would be unhappy with a rig without them.

I own a converted bus that is called a 40 foot in the bus industry, but would be called a 41.5 in the motorhome industry, because stem to stern is 41.5. When making reservations, I refer to it as a forty foot. Some national parks will not allow it, but they don't allow 40 foot motorhomes either.

Yes there is an extra expense for two more tires that will need to be budgeted, but the extra comfort and handling stability justifies that for me. You also have braking ability of two more wheels, another plus.

Welcome to the forum and happy hunting, Kay

We don’t really "Need" (I try to never confuse Need with Want!) the extra length but I have been surprised that there are about 4-5 used Winnebago/Itasca 42' for sale in the 2013-2015 range and not a single 40' made by Winnebago/Itasca on RVTRADER.com?

I am just wondering if folks are disappointed in the 42' and are selling it because it is "TOO BIG" or they cannot get into places they want to go with it.

We have fallen in love with a 40' (40R) model made by Winnebago/Itasca but don’t want to buy new and am amazed that no used ones are for sale when so many of the 42's are.

I just looked at the brochures for the Winnebago Journey for 2012 through 2015. I note that 2015 is the first time the 40R is listed as an available model.

PhxRainey,

If you are looking for a Diesel Pusher under 40 foot try "Motor Homes of Texas". At present time they have 41 pre-owned diesel pusher listed. Of that 13 are under 40 foot. As an example they have a 2005 Fleetwood Discovery 39L with a 330 Cat., 40 K miles and 4 slides, they also have an 2011 Forest River Berkshire 38 footer with a 340 Cummins, 18 K miles and 3 slides. They have several Fourtravels, Monacos to name a few.

Give them a look at www.motorhomesoftexas.com . You might check out www.mrolivers.com I am not sure what he has but give him a look.

Hope these help. Keep looking you will find the one for you. Then come back here and join the FMCA family.

Herman