Sign in to follow this  
RICHARDBRANDNER

Mini Cooper Towing

I have been dolly towing a 2014 FWD Countryman Mini Cooper behind my 42ft Fleetwood Excursion. On my last 500 mile trip I discovered when I stopped to rest that the mini smelled really hot.

Someone else commented earlier the car smelled hot. Previously pulled same car 3500 miles with no issues except was towing behind gas RV, 37Ft.No problems encountered.

Not sure why car seems to be heating up. Per manual, able to pull mini with Acme Dolly.

Any idea why I am heating up

Richard,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

You need to determine if the car or motorhome are the source of the smell.

Towing behind a large motorhome WILL deposit tiny bits of rubber from the tires and a small amount of diesel soot on the toad's exhaust system. So, it is quite possible that the smell is "normal". Start by doing the "sniff test" on the Mini's exhaust system.

The question is, IS it hot? Have you investigated to see if it was hot? I would use a laser thermometer to check the rear brakes and hubs to see if it is hot. Always keep the vent in "recirculate" to keep odors out of the car.

One more question, does it smell hot when it is on the dolly after being towed or after you take it off and drive it?

Bill