kathyabass@yahoo.com

Wood grain vinyl planks

Just within the past few days, we took up all the carpet and vinyl flooring down to bare wood and replaced with vinyl squares from Armstrong. They were self stick, however; we used some flooring glue as well to ensure they were staying put. Took one whole day to do the coach with help from the son. Took pictures of the process, just have to download them onto the computer and upload.

Hardest part was pulling out the 200 staples we had to dig and look for, or step on. Rest was pretty easy. I laid the glue down, he placed the tiles and did any cutting required around corners or cabinets. Mom is happy, all that counts :rolleyes:

Next day he put up some tile backsplash in the kitchen around the stove and sink for Mom, looks good, really good. Much better than the old generic MH walls they put in these things :)

Dealer wanted $3K to do the flooring..................NOT! So we saved some money since I think we were being gouged for $$.

We removed the ugly old kitchen flooring (vinyl) and replaced with a real expensive (forgot who made it right off hand, I'll have to look it up) wood grain oak sheet vinyl flooring with cushioning. It has been mistaken for real wood many times. We also replaced the mauve (ugh!) carpet in the living room with a very good indoor/outdoor carpet with heavy felt backing underneath. At the same time we installed a flat screen 24" LCD TV and rebuilt the front cabinets (they're golden oak, the floor is dark oak, they do well together).

Kathy,

We tore out the carpeting in our '06 HR about a year ago and replaced it with vinyl planking and it turned out to be a great decision. So much easier to maintain and the only issue we had was the dog slipping on it so we placed a runner down the center of the MH. It has survived several episodes of the dog turning over the water bowl and sand from the beach. It still looks as good as the day it was installed. It's a good alternative to wood flooring and did not add much appreciable weight to the MH. We selected the Konecto brand and the individual planks are about 4' long by 5" wide and have tabs with contact cement that match up to tabs on the adjacent plank. Konecto has several grades and we settled on a mid-grade. Home Depot carries the Konecto under their Traffic Master label. The only reason we went with Konecto and the higher price was color matching.

mark

Well it's done and it looks great. Tearing out the old carpet and vinyl flooring was easier than I thought and it only took one full day to do the living area and hallway where the bunks are. Had time to install the backsplash in the kitchen area as well as replacing the big clunky TV in front with a 28 LCD. Second trip with the vinyl and it looks great, feels great and was one of those things we should have done right after we bought the coach.

post-306-1260617939_thumb.jpg

post-306-1260617986_thumb.jpg

post-306-1260618075_thumb.jpg

post-306-1260618299_thumb.jpg

On our last RV we ripped out the carpet and layed down the Bruce laminate flooring. It's available at Home Depot but we got a great deal through a building supply liquidator. Just clicked it together and layed it down just like a home installation. No glue, no nails as it's a floating floor. I trimmed out the stairs with the bull nose stair trim and it looked great! I have known several people that have done it. So much easier to take care off than carpet.

Richard I glued a small piece of the carpet that I removed to the bottom of the white plastic? on the bottom of the slide to keep from marring the new pergo. I have done 5 motorhomes in the last 10 years she hates mh carpets. This Dynasty has all tile so at least this time I do not have that project.

The bigest job was all the staples that had to be pulled from the wood underlayment.... Don 03 dynasty

I don't know if this topic is also somewhere for Class C's, so if anyone has replaced their carpet in a Class C with vinyl or wood, can you tell me what you did for the drivers area?

In our last rig ('94 Fleetwood Flair) I stopped short of the driver area as it was a step up and a good place to end it. Much easier that way. You can get carpet transitions for the laminate flooring, just leave carpet up front.