dlarue

Grid Tie Inverter Backfeeding Through Freedom 458 Outputs

With a bunch of batteries on the unit, solar panels and charge controller I was thinking of using all that solar energy to offset our current Grid Tied solar system by putting a few micro inverters on those solar panels when in the driveway.

But with an outlet from the Freedom 458 near my charge controller and where I would put the grid tie inverter I was wondering if anyone has a schematic or knows if the Freedom 458 output is relay coupled to the grid when connected to shore power? I'm looking at a max of 5A(120VAC) so easily within the 15A range of one of the 458's output breaker.

I would run a separate circuit bi-passing the 458 but would also require a breaker so hoping to leverage the existing wiring if possible.

Thanks.

When the 458 is on shore power, a relay is closed to connect the shore power to the coach thus bypassing the 458. I would think that you will need to turn off the 458 when not on shore power to be sure the power plug does not become live 120 volts. The transfer switch should be wired to prevent this, but check all to be sure you don't get reverse feedback.

Thanks @rossboyer. So it sounds like, with a relay, the 458 outputs are effectively hard wired to shore/mains power so what I have to be concerned with is when shore power isn't there. I'll have to think on that a bit, scenarios like:

1-a blackout and what happens when the relay opens. ie how quickly does the solar inverter sense this and stop its output.

2-a blackout and someone has the invert button on the console turned on... this can't be a good result.

3-I pull the plug on the hookup, forgetting to switch the solar DC from the solar inverter to the charge controller.

Maybe a secondary relay with an AC energized coil in the power distribution area for the line with the solar inverter on it is the protect mechanism.

At least I know I can start testing using the existing AC outlet. Thanks.

If I understand your question, you are wanting to "feed the grid/shore power" from your inverter-- is that correct? Or only when power company power goes off?

First question is would they accept the MSW that your inverter puts out-- never considered how that would work with the PSW that the power company provides. But, it would have to be addressed.

If I understand your question, you are wanting to "feed the grid/shore power" from your inverter-- is that correct? Or only when power company power goes off?

First question is would they accept the MSW that your inverter puts out-- never considered how that would work with the PSW that the power company provides. But, it would have to be addressed.

micro-inverters are tiny inverters which connect to each solar panel and do all the work of standard grid-tie inverters but at a fraction of the price. The 458 will not do grid-tie inverting.

The idea is that the camper is stowed more than it's on trips, it's always on a 30A hookup when stowed. Since it has solar panels on the roof it makes sense to use those solar PV panels to augment existing solar PV systems while sitting in storage. At around 250W per panel, the payback on the $90/ea inverter is only about 3 years so evaluations started.

I'm doing some testing and without the schematic I was concerned with how the 458 was internally connected to the input AC(shore power) because there is an AC outlet near where I'm connecting the inverter to the solar panel DC feed and that outlet is on one of the two AC circuits of the 458.

Solar PV is now in the $1/W price range so it's super inexpensive to do solar charging. At least on the equipment side.