Sign in to follow this  
superkoop

Timing Problem On 454

Just wondering if anyone is familiar with a HEI 454 ignition system? I pulled my distributor without marking it like a dumbass, and would like to get it back in correctly. My motor has two timing markers, one at about 1:00, and one at about 5:00. There is no way the top one can be used because it is simply impossible to be able to see it. I read somewhere that it is the marker for the number one piston. What piston should be used for the bottom marker? Anybody know? I sure could use some help.

Thanks Jim Koopman

Was also wondering, besides bumping the starter, how can a guy turn the motor? I've got a fan on the front with a centrifugal clutch. Any Ideas? I need all the help I can get. Not very good at this sort of thing.

superkoop,

Welcome to the Forum.

You may turn the engine by hand if you pull all spark plugs. Then you can turn the engine rotate the crank to the timing make (top dead center). at this point you will be right on or 180 degrees out. Compare the timing mark to the number one cylinder. If number one is to the top, you can check by pushing a small screw driver into the spark plug hole, then you should be it the top. Them matching the rotor to the Number on plug wire on the distributor cap, back the rotor up just a bit so that the marks will line up when you put the distributor in.

Another way you might try, if you haven't cranked the engine over, is to try and put the distributor back in. If it drops right in then you are close. the distributor drives the oil pump and if you haven't cranked the engine over then the pump drive should be in the same place. You may have to put the distributor in more then once. You will have to move it one notch at a time till it drops in completely. At this point you will be dead on or 180 degrees out. If out just pull the distributor out rotate the rotor 180 degrees and drop it back in. This is what I would try first.

However the most expeditious thing might be to call your Road Side Assist or Insurance company, have it towed to your local mechanic. :unsure:

Now, might I ask, why did you pull the distributor in the first place? :unsure: Not trying to be a smart posterior just wondering.

Good luck

Herman

Jim,

Welcome to the Forum!

The key is to know if your number one cylinder is at the top of the compression stroke or in the exhaust position.

It needs to be in the compression stroke !!!!! Both the intake and exhaust valves will be closed.

Make sure that no material falls into the cylinder when the plug(s) is removed.

A good garage will have a inspection camera that can be inserted in to the cylinder through the spark plug hole an see if the cylinder(number one) is at top dead center on the compression cycle.

All the plug wires need to be in the proper order as they run between the distributor cap and the plugs!!!!!

Reinstalling the distributor and getting the oil pump drive shaft and the distributor shaft aligned can be challenging!!!

NOTE: There is a plastic sleeve that keeps the two shafts connected. Plastic sleeves tend to brake and the replacement one is steel. You might need help from a good mechanic on this one.

Good luck

Rich.