Sign in to follow this  
Chickadee

TX Hill Country, Feb. 2010 Visit Info

Hi, all:

We have never visited the "Texas Hill Country" and plan to be in that area during February of 2010 as we migrate West. Can anyone tell us a little about what visiting that area in February (i.e., weather, good places to camp, etc.) might be like?

Someone once mentioned Buckhorn RV Resort somewhere around Kerrville (I think), and it looks nice online, but thought you guys might have other info. We're kinda thinking it'll be COLD there in February, which isn't bad (we're from Minnesota originally :rolleyes: ), but we're wondering how cold, since we don't do "cold" much anymore if we can help it :) . Thanks for any info.

Steve and Lynette

Guest Wayne77590

Steve and Lynette,

There are so many choices that it would be impossible to list them all. Texas Hill Country encompasses a large area from the North sububs of San Antonio, Travis county and on over to Austin.

We enjoyed staying at Oak Forest RV park in Austin. It's Passport America (or was when we stayed) for one week a year for a member. San Antonio has Braunig Lake, Fiesta, and Admaralty, plus others. For Braunig, get the premium site area as it is much nice and wider spaced than the standard. The mean temperatures for the San Antonio area are mid 40's for night and mid 60's for daytime. Austin is only a few degrees cooler in February than SA. Just remember that the weather in Texas can change in 5 minutes. The old saying if you don't like the weather, just wait 5 minutes. I've been in shorts with the air conditioner running on christmas day, and also in full leather jacket with the heat on. We just never know, but all in all, it gets better.

There are a lot of campgrounds around New Braunfels, which is about 50 miles from SA or Austin with temps about the same as the two cities.

The Fredericksburg area can range from the hi 30's to the mid 60's in February.

Besides Buckhorn, take a look at the Guadalupe River RV resort. It is supposed to be an excellent rv spot.

Good luck

I use the RV Park Reviews web site in helping me select a campground, and of course fellow FMCA travelers that have been there done that.

Alamo Fiesta RV Park in Boerne was one of the first stops we made in 8 years of full timing. The park is welcoming, has nice facilities. It is close enough to San Antonio (which is a fantastic city to tour/visit) and is in the heart of the hill country to make this an ideal destination. The rates are in the $30 to $40 range. Nearby are the WWII Nimitz Museum in Fredericksburg, the dance hall in Gruene, all the German communities of the hill country, and the Lyndon Johnson Presidential Ranch near Johnsonville. Austin is within reach but you may want to move there to explore that area. The state capital in Austin is worth a visit and if you enjoy the city life there are dozens of great restaurants and things to do there as well. In Austin (on I-35) we have stayed at La Hacienda RV Park in Lakeway, Texas, on the outskirts of Austin.

We found San Antonio too cold for our tastes (recently retired from Missouri) in December but February is a whole different animal. When I moved from Missouri to San Antonio in January 1969 when I was in the military everyone in the apartment complex thought I was crazy to go in the swimming pool but I thought it was a trip! Hey, it wasn't frozen over like every pond in Missouri!

We love the "Hill Country" and stop there frequently on our way into and out of Texas.

I live in central Texas. The Hill country is a great place to visit albeit Jan and Feb aren't the best months to do so. Temps will vary between 45-55, but as has been said, wait 5 minutes and you could experience lower or higher. Considering that just a couple months ago I was in a state that right now has 10 degree weather, I'll take the 45. Temps below freezing are unusual.

There are several places to stage out of if you are going to do the tourist thing in hill country. The two that I use more often is Miller's Creek RV resort in Johnson City and in Fredericksburg there is Lady Bird Johnson Municipal Park. I would suggest that you go onto this site and get the free travel guides. Find out what you what to visit and then pick the campground. http://www.traveltex.com/travelguide/Order.aspx

The travel guide will also help with info along your route thru Texas. Be advised that our state is almost 900 miles from east to west. Plan on driving awhile. :rolleyes:

I live in central Texas. The Hill country is a great place to visit albeit Jan and Feb aren't the best months to do so. Temps will vary between 45-55, but as has been said, wait 5 minutes and you could experience lower or higher. Considering that just a couple months ago I was in a state that right now has 10 degree weather, I'll take the 45. Temps below freezing are unusual.

There are several places to stage out of if you are going to do the tourist thing in hill country. The two that I use more often is Miller's Creek RV resort in Johnson City and in Fredericksburg there is Lady Bird Johnson Municipal Park. I would suggest that you go onto this site and get the free travel guides. Find out what you what to visit and then pick the campground. http://www.traveltex.com/travelguide/Order.aspx

The travel guide will also help with info along your route thru Texas. Be advised that our state is almost 900 miles from east to west. Plan on driving awhile. :rolleyes:

n

skyking8: Thanks for info, and web address for free travel guides. VERY helpful. Steve & Lynette

Just returned from a rally in Fredericksburg. Two very nice parks. Kerrville.....Buckhorn resort is all tens on rvparkreviews.com. A plush resort for class A's. Saw some poor guy pull in the gate with a tent trailer and left. Probably would have been nice to meet. Buckhorn is worth the money and it is not too steep. I know of a lot of KOA's which are more expensive and not even close at being as good. Glenn in Plano Texas

Just returned from a rally in Fredericksburg. Two very nice parks. Kerrville.....Buckhorn resort is all tens on rvparkreviews.com. A plush resort for class A's. Saw some poor guy pull in the gate with a tent trailer and left. Probably would have been nice to meet. Buckhorn is worth the money and it is not too steep. I know of a lot of KOA's which are more expensive and not even close at being as good. Glenn in Plano Texas

Glenn is correct, Oakwood RV Park in Frederickburg is an OK park. He and Wanda had a great time there. If you are there go out to the airport and have breakfast at the Airport Cafe.

Keerville also has Guadalupe RV Park. Nice park good sights and if you fish it is right on the river.

Come Visit Lone Star Chapter of FMCA in February at Coushata RV Park in Bellville, TX, Feb. 18-20 or at Coffee Creek RV Resort in Santo, TX, April 8-10. We love having visitors at our Rallies.