Bamasoup

Down The Pacific Coast

Question

We're planning to drive Hwy 101/1 down the Pacific Coast from Aberdeen, WA to Los Angeles this late June-early July.  We have a 40' diesel pusher with toad.  

Would appreciate info on driving troubles we may encounter and recommendations.  

Grandkids want to know best sites to see the giant redwoods in Northern California, where to drive (the toad) thru a redwood, and MUST SEE/DO activities in LA in 3 days.

Thanks in advance.

4 answers to this question

I suggest that you plan this trip to stay on 101 with the motor home and then use the toad to explore 1.  There are stretches of 1 that are doable in the motor home but your opportunities to pull off and enjoy the view will be very limited.  There are excellent redwood stops along 101.  Many of the old tourist stops exist on old stretches of the highway that have now been bypassed to speed traffic flow. 

I checked for guides to Hwy 101 on line and most are commercial.  National Geographic has a quick article with some links that work and others that are outdated.  This site has your drive through tree(s) and seems to have many other good links. 

One of my favorite stops in the Redwoods is a campground at Redcrest.  The link will take you to two parks and I can't remember which it was.  We were parked under one big redwood tree.  There are stretches of road there that are off the main road and I remember riding my bicycle along a stretch of road early one morning, no traffic around, just silence and me on a bicycle among these huge trees. 

There are numerous parks near there to be explored.  Humbolt Redwood State Park has some great trees. 

There are great stops in Redwoods National Park also. 

I travel that road quite often in our 40 footer.  You shouldn't encounter any issues other than those typical of winding two lane roads.  Cars tend to want to drive faster than you will, so you'll have to deal with that.  There are plenty of pull-offs to allow some scenic views and allow traffic to pass, but as TB said, you'll enjoy exploring with your toad much more.

I want to add driving 1 with the coach can be tough because of the traffic. Saw people stopping on blind curves to look at the view (no spot to pull off) and to take pictures. I know I wouldn't have been able to stop the motor home in time. The 101 has some interesting places. 

Bill

Thanks all for your advice.  We're looking forward to showing the grandkids the wonderful sites along the Pacific coastline.  We'll keep your recommendations in mind.  Thanks again for your help.