Bamasoup

Best Route: Hardin, MT to Great Falls, MT

Question

We're taking the grandkids to The Custer Battlefield near Hardin, MT this mid-June, then up to Great Falls and on to Galcier NP.  We have a 40' diesel pusher and pull a 4500 lb toad.  What is the best route from Hardin to Great Falls?  Thanks in advance.

2 answers to this question

I would suggest I-90 west to Butte, then I-15 North to Great Falls. IIRC it is about 70 miles further but probably less time in an RV due to the slowing for towns and livestock. There is a shorter route by going north from Billings on Rte3 to Lavina, then west on Rte12 to Harlowton, then north on 191 to Rte 87 which will take you into Great Falls. But this way is all 2 lane, lots of slowing for small towns and lots of open grazing areas, meaning livestock is free to roam right on to the highway. Either way is scenic. Enjoy the views.

Bob

Thanks, Replatt.  Several years ago I went "over the hills" on a short route driving a 40 footer with a 300 CAT.  I HAD TO DROP INTO 3D gear several times and probably shoulda went down to 2d on one steep curve.  The route thru Billings is probably my choice this time.  Appreciate your help.