While at a FMCA rally in Coos Bay, Oregon last year my frig (Norcold 1200) gave up and died.  I had an extended warranty through Wholesale Warranties.  They authorized a replacement.  I considered a residential but the bulk, weight and it's distribution plus added battery draw I elected to stay with the new 1200. I bought a lot of ice waiting for the new unit and a lot of conversations with a multitude of new friends.   Several had taken precautions by adding a fuse activated Halon fire suppression.  I ordered one online for about $220.  Looks like most other small hand held extinguishers except for color.  I hard mounted it in the back accessed from outside.  Although small it's capacity is more than adequate for the size of the of the available space.  It is certainly worth the peace of mind and a lot less than a new residential. 

huling3,

Our Norcold also died this year and we did replace it with a residential unit, a Samsung RF-18. The weight is close to the same as the 1200 with twice the space. It has run on the inverter ever since.

Good luck with your new unit, and glad you feel secure with the extinguisher.

Herman

Moonwink  I'm not an expert in this matter at all but after reading the class action suit about the absorption system it is claimed the vessel that fails via a sudden split is filled with a flammable gas.  Even if the ARPrv were to react instantly the fire would already be underway and fueled.  Hence, the fused halon system would prevent destruction.  Perhaps, an expert on the method the two major refers use on the newer units as well as the troublesome older units could explain further.