Sign in to follow this  
SLSettles

Over-length in NC: 40' DP + TandemTow

I live in NC and was researching max trailer width because I want a golf-cart that can be carried sideways on our TandemTow dolly. As I was reading I found that the maximum combination length for tow vehicle and trailer is 60'. I have a 40' Revolution, the TandemTow is 11' from ball to tire well, and our toad (Prius V) is 12' from front tire center to rear bumper... 63' minimum!

And with a cart I'd have to move the tire wells back a foot or so, so 64'. I know people tow bigger enclosed car trailers than this. Am I reading the law wrong?

Are larger trailers allowed if you have your class B? Or does everyone just ignore the law?

I must be misunderstanding something because folks with 45' DPs wouldn't even be able to tow a midsize car much less a full-size truck.

Please illuminate me.

SLSettles, each state varies about the overall length. Here is a AAA listing, http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/trailer-dimensions/, many on this forum have different opinions about the validity of the laws concerning this question. While the probability of you ever being stopped may be slim to none, the law is the law. Also remember that while your driver license and tag is reciprocal, the laws concerning the vehicle lengths, weights, and other items are not. Also please note that the website may be out of date with what is current, so a call the  DMV of that state may be in order.

They make the laws confusing, Total length of X. Means what ? The maximum length of one structure with wheels?

NC list Motorhome max. as 45 feet and a trailer length of 40 feet. Do they infer that you can have a combined length of 85 feet if non of the sections is no more then 60 feet? N.C lists more about the width then how they interpret total length.

A 53 foot commercial trailer and a 20+ ft. tractor would exceed 60 feet. and you do not see them on the side of the road for being to long.

Rich.