Sign in to follow this  
abyrd

Norcold 1200 LRIM Aftermarket Cooling Units

Does anyone have any experience with aftermarket cooling units?  Research doesn't provide much confidence of customer service. 

Trying to evaluate conversion to residential refrigerator vs. repair of Norcold unit.  Replace cooling units are available for as low as $650.  Being a do-it-you-selfer I'm confident that I successfully install the new cooling unit.

Please offer any thoughts.

Jim

Jim , I do know that some owners have used the aftermarket system and have been happy for the most part.

Have a feeling that some of them will chime in.

Rich.

I had the Amish (Dutch Aire brand) built cooling unit installed in mine since with lots of measuring and research it would have been a major modification on my coach. Had to move plumbing and possibly heating duct work. It has exceeded my expectations. We now run the Norcold at a 4 or 5 setting all the time. Freezer is at -1 to -6 and refrigerator is 34/35 degrees.

I did opt to have the work done by JC Refrigeration in Shipshewana Indiana. Same gentleman owns JC and Dutch Aire.

I installed the Amish cooling unit in my domestic ndr1292 in March. Need help getting unit out and back to wall. Everything else I did. Take your time and lots of pictures before disassembly. The replacement unit has a bracket to mount temp switch for fans I put in two fans at the top chimney 85 cfm each and only draw .25 amps each. It performs much better than original domestic unit.

A friend of mine had JC install a helium unit in his 1200 series and also installed the ARP control unit.  Works great and he is very happy.