stanhillard@bellsouth.net

Golden Age Passport or (new version)

Guest Wayne77590

The "Golden Age Passport," has been grandfathered and is still accepted. It has been replaced by "America The Beautiful," passes.

I use the National Park Service (click on bold type)

First of all we are new at the blogging thing and was trying to find out how to enter a question regarding seeking campgrounds across this great country of America that is basically for we retired people. Not that I'm against children because I have 6 grand children of my own and love them dearly. But we want campgrounds that have a paved site, basically no children, or at least a section that is labeled for we that are retired, and not so close to your fellow camper that you can see what they are having for dinner but close enough to say hello. We are in our first year of retirement and anxious to visit "everything" and will be moving around from state to state. We have a 40' Newmar.

When I saw "Golden Age Passport," I thought this was your way of finding the same thing as I, but I presume it is a club one belongs to.

Please explain.

Thanks, Milly

For those who aren't aware of the Senior Pass in the America the Beautiful Program, there is the text from the website at www.nps.gov

Check out www.recreation.gov which allows you to search for RV sites by state or park/facility name or date. I'm not sure that this covers everything covered by the pass but I suspect it might.

Louise and I both qualified for the pass this year and even though we don't have to have individual passes we have purchased one for each of us. You may bring everyone in a private, non-commerical vehicle under your pass. Take your children and grandchildren to a National Park! Everyone in the vehicle with you gets in free!

Here is the scoop!

America the Beautiful – National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass – Senior Pass. - Cost $10.

America the Beautiful – National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass – Senior Pass

America the Beautiful – National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass – Senior Pass

This is a lifetime pass for U.S. citizens or permanent residents age 62 or over. The pass provides access to, and use of, Federal recreation sites that charge an Entrance or Standard Amenity. The pass admits the pass holder and passengers in a non-commercial vehicle at per vehicle fee areas and pass holder + 3 adults, not to exceed 4 adults, at per person fee areas (children under 16 are admitted free). The pass can only be obtained in person at the park. The Senior Pass provides a 50 percent discount on some Expanded Amenity Fees charged for facilities and services such as camping, swimming, boat launch, and specialized interpretive services. In some cases where Expanded Amenity Fees are charged, only the pass holder will be given the 50 percent price reduction. The pass is non-transferable and generally does NOT cover or reduce special recreation permit fees or fees charged by concessionaires.

First of all we are new at the blogging thing and was trying to find out how to enter a question regarding seeking campgrounds across this great country of America that is basically for we retired people. Not that I'm against children because I have 6 grand children of my own and love them dearly. But we want campgrounds that have a paved site, basically no children, or at least a section that is labeled for we that are retired, and not so close to your fellow camper that you can see what they are having for dinner but close enough to say hello. We are in our first year of retirement and anxious to visit "everything" and will be moving around from state to state. We have a 40' Newmar.

When I saw "Golden Age Passport," I thought this was your way of finding the same thing as I, but I presume it is a club one belongs to.

Please explain.

Thanks, Milly

Used to get in National Parks. Not a club!!!

Hi Milly,

Usually National Park campgrounds (CGs) are not paved. Mostly they are back in sites with electric and water. Some with sewer. Seclusion is the name of the game. However, the America the Beautiful Senior Pass remains a good deal for you and hubby. It provides discounts on admission to the park and sometimes amenities within the park. Consider getting a pass, one for each of you.

The information supplied on your post indicates a desire for commercial CGs. Go to Over 55 years of age CGs. there should be a couple of choices on the main page. Look at the top of the page and there is a Winter and Summer choice. There is a mix of CGs, condos and apartments.

Next you can "google" (a search apace should be on your screen) "over 55 campgrounds. Scroll through the results to find what may interest you.

Outdoor Resorts at Outdoor Resorts and Signature Resorts at Signature Resorts are over 55.

The Trailer Life Campground Directory, within a CG listing should say if it is an over 55 CG.

Equity Life Style Properties at Encore CGs has some CGs that are over 55.

Sun RV Resorts at Sun RV Resorts has some resorts for over 55.

Good luck in your search.

Used to get in National Parks. Not a club!!!

The old Golden Age Passport and now called Senior Pass is a life-time pass for $10.00 to National Parks, Forests, Monuments etc. You only need one -- both don't need it. The pass is good for FREE admission to all National parks for the pass holder and anyone of any age who are with them -- I had my nephew and his 9 year old son with me to Yosemite last year all for free. Most N.P. campgrounds are half price with the Senior Pass. Concessionaire run things within the parks usually give some discount to the Senior Pass. I've had mine for 14 years and it has saved me hundreds of dollars. We were in 18 Natl Parks last year and camped in most of them.

For your info the Passport America membership gets discounts at a lot of campgrounds. Most of the State Parks in Ohio honor it during the week. I just made reservations in a Ohio state park for 14 days and saved $100.00 with it. Membership was only about $30 a year. :rolleyes::)