gelsw

Class A Campgrounds

22 hours ago, jleamont said:

FL Keys then up to ST. Augustine, I haven't booked it yet, I just put some feelers out there, still trying to see what options I have down there and choose wisely :D. any suggestions?

Joe,

Try Pellicer Creek Campground.  Short drive into St. Augustine.  It is about a mile off IH95 on US1 South.  We spent last winter there to our Northeast trip.  Great WiFi and 190 channel Directv provided.

http://www.pellicercreekcampground.com/

21 hours ago, ShortBus said:

We have a 40' coach. My observation is that coach owners tend to be older and do not have families and tend not to have the aforementioned smoldering campfires. With COPD this is a serious problem for me. Didn't realize I would be stepping on so many toes asking a straight forward question. $$ had nothing to do with it, just my health and not wanting to damage a large investment. I mentioned Red Rock in Idaho because that one is still a sore point for me. I'm sure there are other fine CG's in Idaho and will be finding out in the next few months. As for Ohio in the last month have been in two state parks, Alum Creek and Delaware, where the access drive had tree limbs hanging down over the paved access road. Now have scratches down the side. I was going to ask about boon docking locations big enough for a coach but have decided against it now, don't want to upset any van or tent campers......

ShortBus,

Sorry I didn't understand you original post.  We have friends who prefer the more restricted and upscale properties so I thought that was what you were looking for.  You might try Big Rigs Best Bets.  I purchased one of their books years ago but you can now access it online.

http://www.big-rigs-rv.com/Home.html

Where we usually spend June each year, most people are in their late 60s and early 70s but many have a campfire every night.  Also where we are now at Chama, NM several campfires every night and most people here are retired.  We don't do campfires because, like you, my wife has COPD.  In our travels, we have visited several parks that do not have individual campfire facilities but have installed centralized fire pits.

If the smoke get too bad at our site, we have close up and turn on the A/C.

23 minutes ago, lmsooter said:

Joe,

Try Pellicer Creek Campground.  Short drive into St. Augustine.  It is about a mile off IH95 on US1 South.  We spent last winter there to our Northeast trip.  Great WiFi and 190 channel Directv provided.

http://www.pellicercreekcampground.com/

Do they have 50amp with Water and sewer? I didn't see it on their website

55 minutes ago, jleamont said:

Do they have 50amp with Water and sewer? I didn't see it on their website

Joe,

yes, full hookups with water and sewer and 50 amp

I suppose one argument for a class A is to benefit from Class A only resorts.

However, I'm thinking more along the line of "We don't go out to hang around in the (private) campground,

we're out at museums, hiking in parks, playing golf, carousing bars, tasting wine, visiting (new) friends

and/or out somewhere having a good time, (taking photos, flying a tri-plane, fishing, hitting an occasional

top chef restaurant, swimming),.  We sleep and shower in RV parks."

================================================

"My guess is either just for the experience or he's had it with the tents, cabins or other 85% not mentioned above.  "

Yeah, but I'm not worried about the class of my neighbors...I plan to move on as soon as 

possible if I don't care for the company. Currently I live in a pretty wild neighbor hood and I have 

just found ways to get by without getting all pushed out of shape or getting upset. 

AND I thought that was supposed to be a benefit of a Class A, to just get up and leave???

==========

I have some past experience with a tent, a truck camper, and a Class C, so I have been around a lot of problems, but

I do have a bit of trouble figuring out why some members seem to have bigger problems that I have with my stick and brick house???

I mean I can't imagine posting up a complaint about my neighbors. I just find a way to work through it as I did when I was camping. 

Rodger S. 

We've had good luck with KOA's when looking for a place to overnight or stay for several days.  Some are good and others are great.  Great, in my opinion, would be a destination park such as the KOA in Phoenix.  Large roomy spaces, paved roads and lots of amenities.  Here's what we do, when searching for a place to bed down for the night, Deb looks in our KOA catalog for a place along the route.  She'll peruse the printed material then call the campground to verify that we can pull through and not unhook (overnight).  We are rather long because we tow a Dodge Ram 3500 mega-cab.  The campground staff have always been straight forward with us and never had a problem.

We have also stayed in upscale type resorts for longer durations.  They are pricey and typically not what we look for only because we like to visit and meet people and at some of the higher end places we never see people sitting out and enjoying the lifestyle (that we enjoy).

Another great place to stay that is higher end is French Quarter RV Resort (Joe, have you made it down there yet?).  It is really nice and within walking distance to the Quarter (during the day only).

Blake

Blake, we use KOA also. I tend to go where I get discounts if just passing through. I will be down there in August.