Sign in to follow this  
stevens4957

getting around campground

We travel in a 40 diesel & tow a Saturn, have had problems getting around in campgrounds due to "old legs" have tried electric bikes but have now found what we hope is the solution to our problem.

Have just purchased a gas powered golf cart that slides into the receiver on the back of our toad--Will be going to a campground this coming weekend & will give it a tryout.

Does anyone have another solution to getting around without having to double tow.

Guest Wayne77590

Some states it is illegal to double tow, but i'm sure you must be aware of that.

I'd like to see your set up once you get it going.

Take a picture.

I have old legs also.

Saw an electric scooter today that will go 30 miles on a 6-8 hour charge. That might fit in the back of the TOAD.

Thanks.

I had to resort to a handicap scooter a couple of years ago when we went full time because of my disabilities, primarily "old legs" so that I could get around the campground and also to use for day trips to museums and parks. The first one was a lighter 4 wheeler but I found it lacking in power and battery life, especially going to outside events such as flea markets. I traded for a HD 3 wheel unit about a year ago that gets about 30 miles per charge and will easily do a day trip with left over battery capacity. This one has 2 heavier batteries and a 24 volt motor and weighs over 300 lbs but is easy to load into the toad with a set of aluminum folding ramps. I would love to have a 2 passenger vehicle and have seen the gas scooter that carries in a class 3 hitch receiver, please advise how your experiences with the new unit work for you. My concern is that I need something that can be used inside to visit the many indoor events which require too much walking/standing for my old legs.

My bride's step father had a three wheeler and made a trailer to pull his girlfriend. They were a sight going through the shopping centers. Oh, when he passed away he was 91. I'll try to dig out a picture.

Ward

Hi stevens4955,

My wife has started to have mobility problems. After a year of searching we purchased a "Cricket" at the Tampa RV show, this past January. Go Cricket Car.

The bottom line is it is a 1/2 size golf car type vehicle. The back can be used to carry people or folded down to carry delicious dishes to the pot luck supper.

For the entire line up of choices for this vendor go to Rick's Specialty Vehicles.

Good luck in your search.

Found I needed a scooter on our last trip to Las Vegas, just had a knee replaced. We were able to rent one at a reasonable rate, the scoot was delivered to our site, and picked up from the office when we left. In doing the research I found that there are many companies with nationwide offices. Including AVIS car rental, the sub out to a mobility company. Probably better to have your own, but in a pinch, finding mobility should not be a problem.