abyrd

Generator Auto Start

Has anyone added auto start feature on a Onan 7.5 Quitet Diesel?  Just installed a residential refrigerator and thought that it might be a good addition.

Jim

abyrd, I already had it but never used it. Once I completed our install I read the manual and set it up just as a precaution. Call your inverter co and ask them if a kit is available. I have the Xantrex RC7GS monitor/control inside. 

We have a Xantrex RS3000 with auto generator start.  If I didn't have it on the inverter, I'd add it with the Onan kit.  I find it invaluable.  We travel in all weather.  There are times when the furnace runs quite a bit at night.  With the auto gen start, I don't have to worry about the batteries, when the voltage drops to or below a set voltage output, the generator kicks on and runs until the batteries are fully charged.  I leave the auto start function set all the time unless there is a reason not to have it set, like when the motor home is in for maintenance.  I still have the manual start and stop option and can use that when desired.  There is even a way to set the auto start with the inverter so that it will start the generator when the air conditioners call for power.  Our system wasn't set up that way with the original coach so I haven't tried to re-wire that.  Our air conditioners are getting quite old, 13 years of full-time summer use.  When they are replaced, we'll need a new thermostat and I'll have the auto start wired in at that time.