Sign in to follow this  
Jenanne

Vail/Avon To Dubois Wyoming

Question

2 answers to this question

Jenanne,

Call the Chamber of Commerce in (Craig Google it) or the police department for the info. Last year it was terrible, rough and slow. Toad would take a beating!!! If it has been repaved it is a GREAT road and fast if in a PORSCHE. There is nothing out there except grasslands and cattle, it is pretty dry particularly as you approach Wyoming, drier, with prong horn sightings possible.

One of the sights you should see, it has been years since we have been up that way, is BROOKS LAKE LODGE just north of Dubois.  It is a lodge, built then in the wilderness by Morton of Morton salt fame. It is huge no it is enormous. It sits on the tundra on rock piers. In the spring, the water just flows steady from beneath it. If memory serves me correctly the fireplace in the dining room will take a 6 or 8 foot log. The back drop behind it, are the Teton Mountains, spectacular, you bet!!!,  It is also on the National Historic Registry.

I would google it too, to see if the road was traversable with a coach or call to find out. Back when were there it certainly was not! It has been one of the high lights of may years of traveling the West. My guess, yes and it is probably much more commercialized than when we were there. It is on the list to go back for sure

Have fun!

Bill Edwards..