johntelling

Dirty Film on Driver's Side Window

My 2005 Excursion's diesel generator exhausts below the driver's side window, which is now covered with a film that makes it really hard to see in the side mirror at times. Has anyone else had this issue -- and how do I get that stuff off the glass? Thanks for any help I can get! JT

Guest Wayne77590

I have not had that issue, but you may wish to try 50% solution of vinegar and water.

If this is actually an exhaust residue, you could try a petroleum based cleaner. Use a tar remover sprayed on a cloth and try that on the glass only. Avoid contacting the rubber seals along the edges of the glass. If this works, simply take your time to clear the glass.

Our generator exhaust is below the drivers side window. I have over 700 hours on the generator and have never had a problem with the drivers side window. We use the generator when parked and when driving.

I am wondering if the film is actually a fog between the two layers of glass in a thermal window. The drivers side windows are frequently the first to show the broken seal between the two layers of glass. Once this seal breaks, the interior of the two glass layers fog with moisture. No amount of cleaning the outside of the glass will resolve the situation. The only answer here is to replace the window. There was an earlier discussion along these lines, see Replacing Windows.

As Tom Said it could be between the two panels. I have found a great way to clean my windows when they are covered with Bugs. Windex and a razor blade scraper. Wet your glass with Windex and use the scraper all over. If this doesn't remove the film look between. I believe there has been someone that said there is a company that repairs the windows. Just a thought.

Happy camping.