Shelbyvision

Mounted RV Satellite Dish Replacement System

On 9/18/2016 at 1:57 PM, exitstrategy said:

I have an 07 tiffin with  winegard set for DTV. I want to use my HD receiver from home. Is my best bet to bite the bullet on a new HD sat dish or can I use the winegard and get a non HD receiver? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Sorry for the delay, the forum had some of us locked out for a few days!!!!

You can use your home DirecTV HD box in your RV with your Winegard dome.  You will not get any of the HD programming but you will get the same channels in SD.  You do have to change some settings in the receiver "repeat satellite setup" to ensure it is set to 18" round antenna type and multiswich (not SWM).  You will then also need to go into the display option in the standard menu and change the setting so it will display the SD channels.  Only takes a few minutes when you change from home to RV and then you need to change it all back when you return home.

I'm looking at the King Quest for Direct TV with the added Quest Controller that allows if to use Dish and Bell.  I prefer the flexibility of being able to switch providers without changing out the dome.  Is anyone using this type of set up and does it work well?  Any drawbacks?

Thanks

It is compatible with Dish and Bell (you have to get the DIRECTV Receiver and a separate controller for each of the 3)!  You will not get HD and you will have 3 separate monthly Bills, with 3, 2 year contracts!  It's portable, but that's a lot of bucks up front and per month for Analog only!  

I would only use one provider at a time.  Right now it looks to me like Dish month to month no contract plan is the way to go.  However, the providers keep changing what they offer so I'd like the ability to switch if a better plan comes down the road without buying a new antenna.  I like that the King antennas can be used as a roof mount or portable without having to have two antennas.