Hank1

Slide Out Problems

Having trouble. 2011 Winnie full wall slide is making a loud bang extending and retracting.  Thinking that is a gear because the slide will go about a ft, than bang. Another foot than bang again.  This continues thru the process of opening or closing the slide. 

27 minutes ago, Hank1 said:

Having trouble. 2011 Winnie full wall slide is making a loud bang extending and retracting.  Thinking that is a gear because the slide will go about a ft. Than bang. Another foot than bang again.  This continues thru the process of opening or closing the slide. 

Hawk1, Welcome to the FMCA Forum! From your description it kind of sounds like a misalignment issue. Could you get outside and look up at the bottom of the slide as someone runs it out and in to pinpoint the source and also watch the way the drive shaft reacts each time the bang happens?

Second, do you have a long slide topper? Could also be a bent or loose roller tube banging against the side of the slide or at one end of the tube !

Rich. 

Hawk1,

I had that problem with my short slide just this past trip. Mine was that as it reached the end of going out there was a bang.  Scared the Devil out of me. When we were leaving brought the slide in and it worked fine but the next time out I was careful getting to the end by stopping just before the slide settled and then bumped it out.  Still a bang.  Tried to bring it in and no-go.  To make a long story short it was the slide motor. The gear had stripped.  Replaced motor and all working well.  Not a cheap fix when you are stuck in a CG.

Bringing that big slide in by hand is a big job.

On October 10, 2016 at 9:43 PM, DickandLois said:

Hawk1, Welcome to the FMCA Forum! From your description it kind of sounds like a misalignment issue. Could you get outside and look up at the bottom of the slide as someone runs it out and in to pinpoint the source and also watch the way the drive shaft reacts each time the bang happens?

Second, do you have a long slide topper? Could also be a bent or loose roller tube banging against the side of the slide or at one end of the tube !

Rich. 

Have it in the shop. Was told it was the gear off of the Elec motor was broke. This moves the slide on a gear rail matched to the prime gear off of the Elec. Motor.  Bridgeport diesal ordered the gear and are going to replace it. Kinda pricie, a grand. Thanks for the input and have happy motoring.

On 10/11/2016 at 10:23 AM, Wayne77590 said:

Hawk1,

I had that problem with my short slide just this past trip. Mine was that as it reached the end of going out there was a bang.  Scared the Devil out of me. When we were leaving brought the slide in and it worked fine but the next time out I was careful getting to the end by stopping just before the slide settled and then bumped it out.  Still a bang.  Tried to bring it in and no-go.  To make a long story short it was the slide motor. The gear had stripped.  Replaced motor and all working well.  Not a cheap fix when you are stuck in a CG.

Bringing that big slide in by hand is a big job.

Thanks Wayne. Put it in shop  I do not have the knowledge to repair.  Was told it was a gear that controls the slide in and out.Happy motoring.

We had a similar problem on big slide in our 39' Fleetwood Providence.  Factory had it repaired in about an hour for $125.  Was a roller that had flattened over time.  Fleetwood in Decatur IN are the absolute best.  

On 10/15/2016 at 4:40 PM, Hank1 said:

Thanks Wayne. Put it in shop  I do not have the knowledge to repair.  Was told it was a gear that controls the slide in and out.Happy motoring.

Missed this post. Yep, really thought it was the same thing that happened to me.  Broke/stripped gear.  Yes, pricey of over a grand because I needed 2nd day air or faster.