Propil500

1995 C8.3 Coolant Filter Types

I am looking for a replacement for my filter system but don't know where to look. I've tried the google method but no luck. It is on a 1995 Safari Serengeti 40'. It is cracked and needs to go. 

Yes, welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Is it the coolant filter or the filter base that is cracked?  If the filter base, Cummins has an excellent, free site for parts as well as service information.  It is called "Cummins QuickServe Online".

The correct filter is more of a question mark.  The filter depends on what type of coolant you have ("low silicate for diesel with added SCA" OR one of the new generation coolants that do not use added SCA).  If the former, you need to test the coolant (test strips are available at most diesel shops and I will have them when I present at the Caterpillar Engine Maintenance Seminar at Chandler). The test strips test SCA concentration, freeze point and pH.  The filters come with different amounts of SCA. So for one of the new generation coolants, you would use a filter BLANK which is a filter with no SCA. If your coolant does require SCA, the test strips will tell you how many units you need to add.

Said another way, the coolant filter is one of the few filters where you do NOT ALWAYS GO BACK WITH THE SAME FILTER NUMBER.