kenlea98

Thinking About 2013 Winnebago Tour 42GD

We are almost ready to pull the trigger on this coach and just want some opinions.  It is a 2013 with 23,600 miles and is listed at $189,000.  

Would you recommend this coach or not?  

Do you know of any issues that we should be aware of with this coach?  

We currently have a gas coach (2008 Georgetown) which we bought new and like it but looking to move to a diesel pusher.  Not looking for hard facts just opinions.  Please comment if you have anything to contribute.  

Love the idea of owning this one but hard to let go of the dollars$$$ :)

kenlea98.  Welcome to the Forum!

Couple of questions.  Is it a Cummins 450?  Chassis? What part of the Country is the coach located?

When it comes to a DP, mileage only matter if it's too low.  Diesel engines don't like to sit around.  The location of the coach is of importance, due to salting of the roads in winter. I would have an independent licensed technician look over the coach, before putting out $189K.  Have you checked the DOT number on all 8 tires?  It will tell you when they came out. The Tour is 2013 build date, but what about the chassis?  Tires should be changed out every 6-8 years (ck for cracks on sidewall of each tire).  What options are on the coach?

Are you buying this coach via a Dealer and do they want your current coach + $189K ?  If so, your paying too much in my humble opinion...NADARV will tell you, high and low retail on yours and theirs and they will offer you whole sale on yours!

Check interior for any kind of spot's, could be water damage, look for delamination or soft spots. Open all bays and look for rust (brown spots)!

Good luck.

Carl

Don't know the length of your current gasser, so here's a word of warning about driving the 42 DP. Making turns will be quite different because of the added space between the steers and the location of the drive axel. Be sure to drive the longer coach either with an instructor onboard the first time or find an empty parking lot with cones or barrels to get used to the handling of the new one, if you haven't driven this extra length before. After getting used to the longer length, the ride will be so much improved over the gas models, you will wonder why so long waiting. Good luck with your move.

Kay, is correct.  Your rear end can take out a car next to you, when making a right turn in town...you need to pull forward more than you do now!  Same in a camp ground, right and left turns need to be wider, than what you are used to and even more so with a toad.  A 42' is actually a 43', that's just 2' shy of mine. With a toad, you'll be 62'+ long..:D

The ride of a DP with or without a tag, is night and day, over your current coach!

kenlea98,

Welcome to the forum. As you didn't finish filling out your profile I don't know where you are. If you are having a hard time pulling the trigger then don't. How many coaches in this range have you seen /driven? Where do you live? 

Bill

At least one owner of a Tour was so unhappy with it upon delivery that he got a refund of his $50,000 deposit and bought Tiffin.  See if you can find the information at www.outsideourbubble.com .  If not, let me know and I can get you more details.

Thanks for the all the info.  This is my first visit to the forum and I haven't completed the profile yet.  Our current coach is a 39' gas model with a huge tail overhang.  I am familiar with tail swing thanks to a couple of close calls.  Luckily no damage.  The coach I am looking at is in Houston,Tx at PPL Motorhomes.  It has 23,600 miles and the 450hp Cummins. And yes, Tiffin is near the top of our list for our next coach.

We have been RVing since 1998 with the last 9 being in the gas motorhome.  Have had trailers, a 5th Wheel, an older motorhome and then bought new in 2008.  We are thinking of going full time in the very near future and it will be in a DP.  

Thanks again for your input!

PPL is a good outfit.  Have bought a coach there, back in 2002, a 97' Allegro, 30' gas. Kept it 16 month's, then got a Soutwind 32' gas...loved it, problem was that I started hauling toy trailer for El Mina Shrine to parades, didn't work out well.  Got a 07' Tour 40 foot DP and put 56,000 miles on it in 5 years.  Had an Allegro Bus 2011, POS!  Got current coach in 2013.:)

There is another site out there, Prevost-Stuff, look under other luxury coaches...you'll see a lot of 42-45 foot Allegro bus's for sale, also Newmar, all DP's!   If your next coach is a Tiffin, go with Phaeton...biggest bang for the money!  Same with Newmar Ventana!

Good Luck and safe travels!

Carl

The tail overhang is not the issue with the DP, it's the extra length between steers and drive axle. This makes for the need to observe the sides of the DP more so than the long overhang. The added wheelbase length is also what contributes to the much better ride, but will also add to the oops:wub: that happen so often. Look up "running into things" on this forum for some examples.