FNAAP@aol.com

Towing a Lexus Rx300/330

Dan,

Have you towed a car behind your motor home before? I ask this question because it is tough duty for a car in my opinion. There may be slightly less debris stirred up by a motor home than by a tractor trailer truck. If you've ever been traveling at close distance behind a tractor trailer truck you get a sense of what your toad is experiencing with its nose pinned to the rear of your motor home. I would hesitate to put an expensive car behind a coach.

Tom,

Towing a 'toad' is new but I've towed race cars on open trailers with our previous coach, so I have an idea about what it takes to keep a 'toad' from getting beat up. That's one reason I included the Rx300 in the equation. They don't have all of the refinements of the 330's and 350's, but they're still a nice ride and right now the market for them is really soft.

Thanks,

Dan

PS Welcome home, brother.

You cannot tow a Lexus RX four down. The only Lexus that can be towed 4 down is the IS MANUAL transmission and they are not produced in any volume so they would be hard to get. Our Service manager at Lexus said at one time they allowed the RX to be towed but they had to replace so many transmissions they they added a supplement to the book for all owners and prohibited it in the new books

I have a 2001 Lexus 300 two wheel drive that I have pulled all over the U.S.,Mexico, Canada and Alaska. I bought it new in 2001 and ask at the time if it could be towed all four down, and was told by the dealer that it could be. Took it to RV Shop and had the tow bar and electrical hook-ups installed and have been towing it ever since. I now have 130000+ mi on the car plus I have towed the car around 70,000 miles and have not had the first problem with the car. The 2001 2 wheel drive was the last year that the Lexus could be towed with all four down.

In 2002 according to a dealer I spoke with, the whole drive train was modifed and could no longer be towed with all four down. I had this conversation with an rv'er at a rest area in MS a few years ago. The RV'er ask why I could tow my Lexus and he couldn't tow his. His was all wheel and that could not be towed. I have towed the Lexus behind a Bounder, Mountain Air, and now An Alpha Seeya 2006.

Hope this helps.

Louis

louis_patsy@yahoo.com

Alpha SEEYA 2006 #73753

I am planning to tow an RX330 four down and will have a Remco lube pump installed. Dealer say's do not tow but Remco and my mechanic say's OK. Looking for feedback from someone who has experience.

thanks

Mocha

My wife and I went round and round about this. We purchased a standard Subaru Outback as our tow vehicle that she said was fine when we test drove. Once we purchased the Outback, it isn't comfortable, it isin't my Lexus, I want my Lexus. Talked to numerous people about putting in the REMCO pump and towing 4 down and just couldn't get comfortable with the cost of the setup and the risk of possible harm to the Lexus.

Three weeks ago we purchased a Tow Dolly for a lot less than the four down tow setup and we can now tow her RX330 and any other front wheel drive she falls in love with. We have peace in the house.