bobandwendy1972

Feedback On Using A Tow Dolly

We have a 2013 Ford Escape that we would like to tow behind our 2017 Nexus Viper.  I would like to get some feedback from fellow motorhome owners that have used or are using a tow dolly.  Do you have a recommendation on a specific tow dolly?  Have you experienced problems when using a tow dolly?  I realize that doing four wheels down is better than using a tow dolly, but we would prefer not to use our other vehicle for towing behind our motorhome.

I have used a tow dolly for years, I tow a 2016 Ford Escape on it now, 2014 Kia Soul before that. Never had an issue with a tow dolly, can put the toad on including light package at the rear in five minutes, and remove in three. As mentioned on other posts, I do keep my rear camera on for keeping an eye on the toad, but when I tow 4 down, I still use the camera. Know of one person that used to tow a Yugo 4 down before cameras were cheap, when he got to his destination, only the front half was still there.:rolleyes::wub:

The only issue I have had with my Acme is that it is heavy for this old man so I had a swing jack added.  Needed to visit a trailer fabrication shop to install it because the frame of the trailer is angle iron.  No problem for the shop. Now it is easy to move around without having to lift the front.

I used a Acme for a couple of years and it worked well after I learned how to get the straps tight. but that is the problem with all dollies. I was just looking and they show new style ramps that look better.

Hear is my method of tightening the straps. Once I started doing it this way I never had a strap came loose.

When you load the car on the dolly stop with about 2 in between the tire and front stop.  Place the hold down straps over the tires. Now place the car in neutral. Now tighten the hold down straps. The reason for doing it this way is the straps will not slide on the tire. This allows the tire to rotate forward and take the slack out of the back side of the strap. After the straps are tight you can put the car in park and set it up for towing.
Make shure you set the car up based on the dolly manufacturer's instructions. Some need the steering locked and some like the acme need the steering to turn. Not doing this part right will cause damage to your car. 

One outher thing is be aware the dolly tracks outside the track of your Coach. You need to be aware when turning corners or just going down the road. Your coach might be in the smooth travel lane but the dolly might be off the right edge running on the rumble strip or hitting the lane markers. Watch your mirrors and you can get the hang of it pretty easy.

Any questions let me know.

Bill

We tow a 2015 Chevy Spark on an American Tow Dolly, behind a 2000 Monaco Executive (40ft) We LOVE the tow dolly!  It's delivered to your door (or as close as he can get it). We did put a tongue jack (wheel on the front - marvelous little invention!)  We have had NO problems!  We've had it a year and it is sitting uncovered in the storage yard - no sign of rust yet. (We do plan to get a tarp - just haven't gotten around to it yet)

On 5/12/2017 at 9:07 AM, bobandwendy1972 said:

We have a 2013 Ford Escape that we would like to tow behind our 2017 Nexus Viper.  I would like to get some feedback from fellow motorhome owners that have used or are using a tow dolly.  Do you have a recommendation on a specific tow dolly?  Have you experienced problems when using a tow dolly?  I realize that doing four wheels down is better than using a tow dolly, but we would prefer not to use our other vehicle for towing behind our motorhome.

Here is something I wrote for a different thread but you might find it useful.

LOADING YOUR CAR ON THE DOLLY
When you load the car on the dolly stop with about 2 in between the tire and front stop.  Place the hold down straps over the tires. Now place the car in neutral. Now tighten the hold down straps. The reason for doing it this way is the straps will not slide on the tire. This allows the tire to rotate forward and take the slack out of the back side of the strap. After the straps are tight you can put the car in park and set it up for towing.
Make Shure you set the car up based on the dolly manufactures instructions. Some need the steering locked and some like the acme need the steering to turn. Not doing this part right will cause damage to your car. 
One other thing is be aware the dolly tracks outside the track of your Coach. You need to be aware when turning corners or just going down the road. Your coach might be in the smooth travel lane but the dolly might be off the right edge running on the rumble strip or hitting the lane markers. Watch your mirrors and you can get the hang of it pretty easy.

Bill