cjv817

Flat Towing 2014 Lincoln MKX

The owners manual for my 2014 Lincoln MKX states its towable with all four wheels down, in accessory mode, and with the tranny in neutral. I tested this and the check engine light stays on.

Does anyone else have this light stay on while towing behind the motorhome?

Am I missing a step here?

Thank you!

I tow a 2014 Ford Edge, same type of car. I don't remember seeing the check engine light. The problem I am having is dead battery after more then two hours towing. I use a plug in Brake Buddy.

OK. What is the exact step process that you do to set up the edge to tow? I didn't start with the vehicle running...thought maybe that was it.

Thanks. 

Do you have key-less ignition or a keyed ignition?

I have Key-less so our processes may be different, yet similar.

Key-less: Start and run motor for 5 minutes. Place shifter into neutral by going to D, R, then back to N.  Place in accessory mode. For me that is turn off and push key-less until system comes on (in accessory mode).  At that time, or while warming up I make sure all the automatic stuff is turned off, lights, WW'ers, etc.  When in accessory mode I push setup on my display and select the display off. I place my alarm system in Valet (otherwise movement will start sounding the horn.) Exit vehicle and lock doors, 7+9 together on door pad.

I have had my battery go below starting capacity a few times.  I find that if in hill country and using the brakes a lot and activating the tail lights on the car the battery would drain down sooner.  When I stopped for the night after 4 hours of towing I would have to plug into the pedestal and then use my charger I carry to charge the battery back up.  I could set this up while I was setting up and unhooking the car. About 10 minutes or less later I could start the vehicle.

My interim fix now, until I can add a charge line, is to stop every two hours, start the car and let it run for 5 minutes. Shift from D to R to N, go through my process again and be on my way. So far that has allowed the car to start when we stop for the night.

Funny is that when in accessory mode everything turns off after 10 minutes. I asked Lincoln/Ford why it could not just stay off and not accessory mode.  The reply was that the engineers state there was a difference between off and accessory but didn't say what that difference is. So I just follow their procedure.

Thank you Wayne. My MKX is keyless. I will try the process you described and see if the check engine lite goes out. I was putting my vehicle into accessory mode without starting it,  without running it 5 mins, shifting it D,R, then neutral...I would just go into neutral. Hopefully that will be the trick. Thanks!

Hello, its me again. I've only owned my MKX for a few weeks and I'm learning more about it every day. In your reply you refer to a few items that I need more clarification on.

1) How do I place my alarm system in Valet mode?

2) Do I have to leave the key in the car while towing it?

3) Do all MKX  doors lock by pressing 7 & 9 together? Is it necessary to lock the doors?

Thanks again for your time Wayne. 

You should have a "hidden" button and when it is depressed for 2 seconds the horn will sound rapidly, twice. That puts the alarm into valet mode.  Since I had mine installed by the Lincoln Dealer I told them where I wanted the button.  Typically it will be on the bottom rail of the dash so look around there. If you have an alarm system there should be a blue light that is visible. If the light is blinking the alarm is set and if it is steady it is in valet mode.

No on leaving the keyless fob in the car, take it with you. Leaving it in the car would invite a thief to try and steal it if they saw it. You can also use it to unlock the car to start it and let it run.  You can also unlock the car using the keypad.

Typically all keyless entries will lock all doors when the 7&9 are pressed simultaneously.  Try it with all the doors unlocked.  As with the key fob when you press the lock button all doors lock and when you press the unlock will depend if it is programmed that way.  With an alarm system it usually only unlocks the driver's door unless pressed twice.

What braking system do you use? We are supposed to have the RVi3 installed tomorrow. However I see online that my front seat does not have the back raised area to support it, and I need to have the stop plate installed. Has anyone else had this stop plate installed on a Lincoln MKX?

I may have missed it but if you have not done it you might want to put the information on your MH in your signature.  Does your MH have air brakes or mechanical brakes?

My MH has Air Brakes and I use Air Force 1 braking system. Even without air brakes there is a model AF1 that has its own air canister. With the air brake model it is just a simple hook up of the air line between the back of the RV and the front of the car. Nothing to fool with on, or around, the brake pedal. The very small piston attached to the brake pedal arm stays in place.

I am told that another good system is M&G but that is hearsay for me.