jleamont

Air Conditioner Mounting

I pulled my rear AC unit up today as it was sitting lopsided and every so often it will drop one maybe two drips of water. So I figured it was time for a new gasket. To my surprise it appears to be a double seal, the upper seal had the drain crossover going through the seal with silicone around the opening. 

Dometic Penguin 13,500 btu with heat pumps, circa 2001. I do not have the model number, it looks just like this one.

http://www.americanrvcompany.com/Dometic-651916-Duo-Therm-High-Capacity-Penguin-II-Low-Profile-Heat-Pump-Air-Conditioner-with-Electronic-Board-Built-In-for-Single-Zone-LCD-Thermostat-Thermostat-Required?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzo7UxcSM1QIVj4-zCh0WQQp6EAQYAiABEgLiIfD_BwE

Has anyone encountered a double type seal as described above?

Joe,

I have the same on the Panther and the Z and both have only one 4 sided square seal under them measuring about 1 1/4 in square. The sticky part was a bugger getting it all up.

I think I got the leak solved, the ac units are pretty rough up there. When the covers were off I could see daylight from inside looking up with the filters out :o. Fixed that also!

I'm thinking a dual 15,000 upgrade is on the list for 2018 or 2019 unless one or both bite the dust in the meantime.

the front unit evaporator cover (not the plastic cover on top) was so warped and it actually rotted out! I had to add a makeshift gasket, bend some tin and add bunch more screws to get it to seal. Surprisingly they cool well, I'm hoping the work better now.

4 hours ago, jleamont said:

I think I got the leak solved, the ac units are pretty rough up there. When the covers were off I could see daylight from inside looking up with the filters out :o. Fixed that also!

I'm thinking a dual 15,000 upgrade is on the list for 2018 or 2019 unless one or both bite the dust in the meantime.

the front unit evaporator cover (not the plastic cover on top) was so warped and it actually rotted out! I had to add a makeshift gasket, bend some tin and add bunch more screws to get it to seal. Surprisingly they cool well, I'm hoping the work better now.

Duck tape is your friend.:D It would have to work better.

May have ben what was causing the drip. Pulling humid air in and condensing on places that weren't over the drip pan. Some times a partially clogged filter will cause a drip to.

Bil

Model 630515.

I located the parts manual online but no mention of the gasket that rests against the chassis, only the gasket that contacts the roof. I also need new mounting bolts, whomever botched up the repair before managed to round off the heads with the incorrect socket size. I welded 5/16 nuts to them and straightened the bolts as best as I could and ran a dye down them to clean up the threads, but I would like to replace both gaskets and mounting hardware. The end goal; to properly install the rear unit so it doesn't lean and ultimately not leak (got the leak part fixed).

Just called Dometic, No longer available on the upper gasket. So my temp repair will have to work for now, until one unit dies, then we upgrade to dual 15,000 btu and the new thermostat.