WJODSEOD

House Batteries Replacements

I have 6, 12V house batteries. I am wondering if I can go with either 3 larger batteries or even 3 the same size.  We do not do any dry camping.  Most of the time we are plugged in or run the generator. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

I'm new to the FMCA family so I might have lots of questions in the future.

wjodseod.  Welcome to the Forum!

What make, year coach?  Residential fridge?  Is 6, 12V a typo?  Did you mean 6, 6V? 

OK.  I'm in a 45 foot, American Coach Tradition, with all electric and I have 2, 2800 Pure Sine Wave Magnum Inverter's, each requiring 4, 6V Golf Cart batteries !  That's why I question the 6, 12V = 12, 6V batteries. 

wjodseod,

Yes, welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Yes, size of battery banks is absolutely related to how much and for how long you want to be able to run 120 VAC appliances off the batteries.

So, if this is not something you need, you can cut back on the amp-hrs of the battery banks.

You can stick with 12 VDC batteries or choose to replace them with PAIRS of 6VDC batteries wires in series (to give 12 VDC).

Are you having a problem with the batteries?  If not just keep what you have. 

As long as you don't spend nights dry camping and wanting to use the inverter to run things like the microwave, coffee pot, toaster, etc you could just get two 6VDC golf cart batteries at Costco or Sam's Club, wire them in series for 12VDC.  The pair of golf cart batteries will work just fine when you move from one RV Park to another. 

Of course if you are ever in an RV Park and the area loses electrical power for many hours or days, it is sure handy to have the full complement of batteries and the inverter to not have to run the generator all the time.