jleamont

Body Side Trim

I have what appears to be a screw that has backed out under the exterior wall pushing on the fiberglass. It always had a dimple  there, but it looks like it grew. At first I thought water, but all seams are sealed and tight. 

It looks like if I remove the trim I might be able to correct and reglue the fiberglass skin. 

Any idea how that trim comes off? 

IMG_3943.JPG

I have the same trim on my rig,  I removed a section above the entrance door to repair a leak.  Once you remove the rubber trim you will find the track fastened with pop rivets.  I drilled the heads off and pushed in the part that remained.  I believe you will find that the rear cap is lapped over the side panel and it will not allow you to access the loose fastener.

I would check on the inside of the coach to determine if there is a fastener that was installed from the inside that is causing the problem.

Jim

Jim, how is the trim attached. I can see a fine silicone joint but I can't help but think there is something else holding it down. I did consider pulling the closet wall and peeking in.

If you look under the bottom end of the trim  under the motorhome you will be able to see the two pieces that make up the trim assembly (track and trim)  the trim is secured to the track with one small  sheet metal screw.  Once you remove the screw the trim can be separated from the track.  The trim actually snaps over the track.  You will need to remove the trim when it is warm it is quite still when cold.  I had no problem removing the trim without damaging the paint.  I would try by only removing a small section from the bottom first to make sure you aren't damaging the paint.

Jim

Edited by abyrd

Joe, think closet is an easier way....hope it's not delamination!  It may be tightly sealed to you, water goes to strange areas by capillary action and makes it hard to track down! :(

I figured all of this out, just have to take the time and fix it, and think about how I should attack. The old owner had something mounted in the closet, he ran screws into the closet wall that were too long, it appears he struck the truss in the side wall of the coach and snapped off one screw just as it dimpled out the side skin, that is what's causing the push out.

Thinking I will remove the inside closet wall and see if I can remove the screw, perhaps inject some glue and go outside and push it back into place. I told my DW, if I destroy the interior wall in the closet, you get the cedar closet you admired at the RV show.

Glad you were able to determine what caused the problem.  Fortunately he did not penetrate the outside skin.

Looks like you have a good plan.

Jim

52 minutes ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

New cedar closet, that's an expensive screw.;)

Bill

Yea, the tacky wall paper can hide a bunch of mishaps :lol: