Sign in to follow this  
westforker

Alpine Coach Cold Weather Travel

I have recently purchased a 2003 Alpine Coach (38').  I am not quite ready to head south and the temperature is going to drop below freezing this next week.  Are my below deck compartments heated with the coach furnace so I do not have to winterize for a week or so before we head to warmer weather?

westfork.  Welcome!

Your coach owners manual will have that information.  For peace of mind, plug in a work light or flood heat lamp in your water bay.  I used to use the spring clip type.

I do believe the Alpine coaches were fully winter capable.  You will burn a lot of propane keeping the entire coach warm only to warm the bays but that should work pretty well.  I put a remote thermometer in the wet bays so I could keep track of the temps down there and would adjust the heat as necessary to keep it in the high 30's to 40.  In the very cold weather I also put a couple of work lights (real light bulbs that put out real heat) to cover the entire wet bay.  You may be able to do that alone if the temps are only in the 30's at night.  There are also very small 250W (ish) electric heater that could be installed in the bay if necessary.  If you don't open the bay doors, it takes very little heat down there to keep it warm enough to keep the plumbing safe.

If a coach owner has a fear of freezing here is one thing they may do. If the coach is connected to shore power a 75 to 100 watt bulb will keep bays from freezing. You can, if you know hope how, put in a freeze guard. You can purchase a "Freeze Guard" from most any Pool Supply. It is a box that pools use to start the pump to move the water when the temp. get below   34 degrees. You can rig it where it will turn on your work light in your bay only when the temp drops. Used on for over 30 years on our pool before we sold the house.

You could make it either portable or mount it permanently.

Herman 

I put two trouble lights, each with a 60w, bulb, any where there is water...in case one burns out, still covered.  Then add anti freeze to P traps and toilets.