cwswine

Blue Ox Light Kit

I had installer install the Blue Ox light kit on my Jeep and it was working as advertised I thought.   I also have a braking system that uses the brake pedal when the jeep brakes are active the turn signal DOES NOT OPERATE but the brakes lights over ride the turn signal.  Thinking I had problem with the install I called Blue Ox tech support and was told that is correct, the turn signal and brake light uses same wire.  Not having a turn signal while the braking system in the toad is active isn't a problem according to tech support and just the way it works.  No fix planned and been that way for years.

We stand behind the motor home each time we hook up to check lights but I never thought about activating the braking system that pushes on the brake pedal and checking to see if the turn signals still work with the Patriot braking system (or any system the used the brake pedal) would over ride the turn signal. .  Everything is Blue Ox and I thought I was avoiding problems buy stick with one manufacture.

Do you have a 5 or 7 pin connector?  I have used the 10,000 Blu-Ox on a Chevy 2500 Diesel 4x4 and my lights worked.  R, L & Brake as needed.  Never had both come on.

I now use a Roadmaster 6,000 with M&G braking on a Jeep Wrangler Gas, 4x4 and have separate R,L, & Brake as above!

7 pin on both systems! What make and model coach do you have?

I have the 7 pin connector.  The problem is the Jeep and many other toads.  There is two filaments one for running lights and one for brake and turn signal.  Everything works correctly when check static.  The problem comes in is there is only one wire going to the second filament for brakes and turn signals.  The coach will turn off and on the current going to down the single wire to that filament to turn the brake/signal filament off and on but when the Patriot II system press on the brake pedal in the toad sends a steady signal down that same wire over riding the on/off signal sent from the coach for blinkers.  The problem is the Blinkers blink till the Patriot II braking system in the toad pushes on the brake pedal and turns on the brake lights from the toad.   

If you have a braking system that doesn't press on the brake pedal and activate the toads brake lights then you everything will work as it should.  I would of like to know prior to installing I would made different product selection that works what I feel the would should.

My coach is a 2017 Discovery LXE 40D and my two toads are 2017 Grand Cherokee and 2017 Jeep Wrangler.

M&G breaking.  It works with the air brakes of the coach and your brake cylinder..they are in Athens, TX.  I used to have all the others at some time in my RV life. 

Using a 2 to 3 converter at the tail lights will enable both the stock amber turn signal lights and the red brake lights to work normally. So of course, the brake lights will not over ride the turn signal lights. 
The converter (Tow Ready 118158 or Curt 56196) is available from various sources; Roadmaster, Etrailer, etc.

We previously were using the Roadmaster supplied brake relay, but when the relay failed, the brake lights would not work when driving solo.

So I recommend the use of the 2 to 3 wire converter. (along with the turn & brake & tail light diodes) 

When we ran the Patriot on the floor I had to pull the stop lamp fuse on the jeep so the toad lighting only saw the coach signal.

Wow, eye opener for me.  We, without fail, always test our brake, turn signal and running lights prior to setting out for a day of travel.  But, I've never had Deb push the brakes down concurrent to a turn signal.

Gonna have to check next time we hook up one of the toads.

We have Blue Ox systems too.

Blake