Rewillia

Installing Ground Effects Surround Exterior LEDs

1 hour ago, DickandLois said:

Rick. Nice job! I Did not know that there was a wire raceway running the length of the enclosed bay area>

That sure saved some time and parts. 

As you mentioned , a project like that enhances ones knowledge of how things are wired and where those wires run.

Rich.

Thank you. Neither did Newmar CS and was only in desperation that I happened to find it after an exhaustive search using shop & flashlights along with a fishing tape  trying to find a means to run 1-one wire from the rear/engine compartment into the basement (forward of the drive axle). The access is actually not an existing wire raceway and is nothing other than a structure frame member sandwiched between the RV house and the Basement framework that runs the length of the coach from the rear all the way forward to just behind the steer axle. The framework is the same that the basement door hinges bolt to only its open at the top which allowed me to run the 1/2" split loom and wire through then simply secure the loom with plastic clamps to kept it taunt and straight. Made for a nice concealed wire run that does not interfere with anything.

As to the knowledge gained through the entire DIY project your correct, I learned a lot about both about the location and wiring leads to a lot of the components. Only problem is that I'm 6'2" @ 205 and ertainly didn't belong in many of the crawl spaces I managed to get myself up and into. It's a lot easier to climb in than it is to climb out (in reverse) and my head, arms and hands as well as my back prove evidence of having been in close quarters. There was a moment when I got off my creeper up under the drive/tag axles and managed to sit somewhat in an upward position while trying to get to the back of the RV house and wasn't sure I could get outta there which was a but "stupid is as stupid does" as I was working alone and my cell phone was on one of my work benches (before anyone "goes there", I had ea. 22-ton jack stands under the chassis beams in addition to the coach being elevated on it's hyd. jacks as back-up). Got those from Northern Tool at a very reasonable price.

Here are a few photos of the finished product (Under Glow surround LEDs) taken from inside my shop. Brightness of the new Under Glow lights is adjustable using the RF Remote and such that we can near match the existing LEDs under the slides and on the canopy awnings. We chose to go with the single color soft white. Expectation is that these will look much better when the coach is in use (i.e. outdoors at an RV camp site or park) and will be used with discretion. (re: not intended as "bling" but moreso to provide soft light around the base perimeter of the coach particularly when walking around it at night).

IMG_4257.JPG

IMG_4262.jpg

IMG_4260.JPG

IMG_4255.JPG

ps, should anyone want to know, all that stuff on the tables next to the coach is our 30+ year old collection of housewares, and misc. stuff, etc. that we intend to dispose of having downsized into a 2-hr Town Home now that the kids are grown, on their own and we're retired - its amazing how much "stuff" we all can amass after so many years and when you step back and look at it all realize how little you used a lot of it. Garage Sale anyone? We've got 1/2 by shop filled with this stuff and hoping to get a thrift store or someone with interest to come and buy it all for one lump sum offering.

Rick, We have the same issue. LOL

DW loves to sew and being creative - she has a good number if items. Then through in my items, it is almost to much to comprehend. 

Kind of like birds of a feather. I have been well schooled in redundancy and back up and she has some back up equipment and a good stock of fabrics. 

I do a lot of my own maintenance and giving up the sticks and brick location and the tools is kind of terrifying in a way. 

Rich.

Rick, looks good! The stuff around the coach is my fear when we move in a few years. 

Rich, I couldn't give up a house for that very reason. Next place will have a garage large enough to house the coach.

Have no fear..it's just stuff and once its gone you'll realize how little you miss it. Plus it will make room for new stuff.  As to our having downsized the home, that deal came with my purchase of a commercial lot & 60' x 100' metal building that now serves as my shop and coach storage" which is about 6 miles from where we live.

Posting a few pictures of finished DIY project of installing Boogey Lights UnderGlow LEDs albeit the phone camera lens must have had some condensation on it as a few are a bit blurry.  Some photos show the lights at full their brightness setting while being subdued in others (lowered illumination).  I personally prefer the lower setting which I feel better compliments the OEM LEDs installed under the slides and on the canopy awnings as well as being more respectful to neighbors when being used.

Having the lighting on the driver side of the coach is also a plus when considering the need to walk/work around it at night, i.e. wet bay, electrical cord reel bay, etc.

Taken at Eastlake RV Resort Houston, TX.

Hope you guys like them, We do.

IMG_4280.JPG

IMG_4283.JPG

IMG_4286.JPG

IMG_4288.JPG

IMG_4289.JPG

IMG_4291.JPG

IMG_4293.JPG

IMG_4295.JPG

IMG_4296.JPG

IMG_4297.jpg

IMG_4301.JPG

IMG_4305.JPG

IMG_4312.JPG

Rick, that looks fantastic! In fact those photos look like out of a magazine with that beautiful coach and the background. Nice work!!  :wub:

Rich.  Very well done!  Your awning and under slide lights are blinding, while the Boogey Light's are pleasing to the eye!  Sorry, but like Rich, Linda and I have more stuff than you!  Total of 4 houses and 2 coaches between us....that's going to be a garage sale! LOL

Looks like the RV park is a sports field, got more light's than needed.

20 hours ago, manholt said:

Rich.  Very well done!  Your awning and under slide lights are blinding, while the Boogey Light's are pleasing to the eye!  Sorry, but like Rich, Linda and I have more stuff than you!  Total of 4 houses and 2 coaches between us....that's going to be a garage sale! LOL

Looks like the RV park is a sports field, got more light's than needed.

Carl, I think its more the optics of the under-slide and canopy awnings being the direct line of sight of the phone camera lens. The LEDs are actually not that bright unless you look up directly at them (which my phone camera may have captured when taking the photos). As to the sports field appearance of the RV park - not really so...they have pedestal lights (normal), but other than that not so many pole lights. Its actually fairly dark out and about the resort at night. I think its just a matter of what my camera and its flash picked up when taking those photos.

As to you're reference to having more stuff than me well all I can say is I'm happy for you and happier for me.  Good on ya!

On December 23, 2017 at 1:37 PM, Rewillia said:

Photos attached. More to come now that the hurdle of getting wire run from the chassis battery compartment to a cargo bay ahead of the rear axles and wet tank bay compartment is completed.

controller mount.jpg

def tank .jpg

Exit wet bay.jpg

rear wheel well channel.jpg

For whatever reason if nothing more than to communicate how I completed this portion of my project using the open 3-sided channel found on the upper inside of the rear wheel well to run my wiring; In completing this project, I returned to the subject area and used some aerosol spray expanding foam insulation to fill the channel and thus encapsulate the 1/2" split loom. By doing this and using the spray foam, the 1/2" loom is now fully secured in place inside the channel and further protected from wheel wash from the drive or tag axle. Once I allowed the foam to harden in place, I went back with a long edged razor knife trimmed off the excess foam (that had seeped out from the channel after drying) and then followed up by covering it all with some 3M spray undercoating. The wire loom is now fully secure and concealed along with being protected.  This was the easiest way to secure the loom without having to pull both rear tires (drive & tag) in order to be able to get to the inside of the wheel well area. By attaching a 2 ft. extension of 3/8" plastic tubing to the expanding form aerosol can, I was able to reach inside of the wheel well (from outside of the coach) above the tires and direct the flow of the foam down and along the channel opening providing a uniform and full end to end gap fill. The under coating I applied after which was likely not needed but will serve as additional strengthening and security for the wire loom. It also provided a nice clean finish to the rough edges of the dried spray foam.

Hope all of this helps anyone considering a similar LED lighting installation project.