Sign in to follow this  
txiceman

Travel Trailer, 5th Wheel Towing, Trucks & Hitches

There is an endless supply of hitches, trucks and trailer combinations.  Some work fine some do not. 

Be sure and ask questions from people that use them and do not believe the dealers.  Their job is to sell RVs, trucks or accessories.

Hopefully we will get some questions and help for folks.

Ken

See it all the time.  Wrong truck for the application!  Small SUV hooked up to a overloaded Trailer, or too long a Trailer!  Far as I'm concerned, get a "true" one ton and be done with it.

I hear all too often, that they do not want to drive a dually, but Mama wants a 19000 lb 42 ft trailer.  So because they do not want a dually, they overload a single rear wheel (SRW) and then come on the sites and tell you they added air bags to the rear and it pulls it like it is not even back there...ha ha ha.  

Had one the other day on a forum post his scale tickets and his 3/4 ton truck was 1500 lb overloaded with a new trailer before they added the supplies.  The salesman told him, he could pull it just fine.

You try to help these folks and the SRW truck advocates jump all over you for being the Weight Police.  I am a retired mechanical engineer and firmly believe in manufacturers ratings.

Ken

Ken.  I'm Oil Field Thrash, wit a Petroleum Engineering ticket,  in 24 years, I learned a lot about TT's, 5'ers and Trucks.  My 3 best friends have 5'ers...they are ranchers, so why buy a coach and a toad...they got some really impressive trucks to haul horses & cattle!

We watched a 37' Jayco 5th, pull out this am by a 150 Ford 4x4 gas, not much room between rear end and ground. :rolleyes: