Sign in to follow this  
rfsod48

To Fill Or Not: That Is The Question

We are leaving 1/06 for the sunny southwest, our temperature is predicted to be in the single digits. Should I fill our fresh water tank before we leave or wait until we get to warmer weather? I have a small ceramic heater for water pump bay and plumbing bay. Will use bottled water for drinking and prefilled water jugs for washing and toilet. I have winterized with pink stuff. If I fill fresh water tank I would fill hot water tank and leave on.

Roland

Happy New Year Roland,

I think a lot depends on how quickly you're going to get down to warmer climates.  But since you have the coach winterized and have alternate means for drinking, cooking and flushing water I'd just stick with that plan and wait.

You might want to consider throwing some anti-freeze in your holding tanks since you will have grey and black waste during the trip.

Blake

Roland,

That's a very good question. To or Not to. In the past before I our insulated Barn/garage I would winterized the coach by draining the water tank and hot water tank, blow out the water lines and put Pick RV Antifreeze in all drains, toilet and holding tanks. As far as the heater in the Water Bay, I would be concerned about it tipping over going down the road. Plus I am not sure that when driving down the Highway with temps. in the single digits how cold the water tank would get from the hwy. Lots of variables here.

My only thought would be to turn on every heater you have, bundle up, cross your legs and head South as fast as the law will allow. :D

Be safe.

Herman

We used our previous motor home to go snowmobiling and spend many enjoyable trips where the temperature was below freezing for days.  Since we were boondocking I kept my water system winterized  and filled gallon jugs for potable water and used RV antifreeze to flush toilet.  Never had a problem with anything freezing.

Jim

Thanks guys, that is what I was thinking but it never hurts to ask. This is the first year that it will be so cold while we are traveling. I guess we have been lucky in the past. Herman we only use little bay heater when we are parked for the night, the tanks are heated but in extreme cold a little more heat is a good thing.

Roland

Roland.

I'm at Linda's place in the Hill Country (Burnet) of Texas.  We will be looking at low 20's to high 20's for the first 3 days of 2018.  We will be going into the bottom of Texas the 4th.  I'm not putting fresh water into my tank until I get down there, my Aqua Hot keeps my whole system warm, but in those temps and driving, I agree with Herman that road is going to be colder than the ambient temp!  RV antifreeze is going into Gray & Black tank tomorrow.....preventive maintenance!

Agree with the Pink in the Gray & Black tanks, however it would be the Fresh Water tanks I was referring to, as it is under the two holding tanks. As with a ham , "The closer to the bone the better the Meat." "The closer to the ground the colder the feet (snik).

Herman

Well, now it does not matter.  Linda and I decided to post phone my Doctor Appt. Wed., and head down to her other place in Three Rivers tomorrow....it will still be under 30 at night, but 50/60 during daytime, no hard freeze.  Just now finished getting this place freeze proof. Both coaches are going along with her toad.