Sign in to follow this  
kpconstruction3

New Mexico I-10 to San Jose, CA

Question

Traveling in 43 ft 2016 motorhome from Ct.    Will be leaving New Mexico on I-10  second week of Feb, headed to San Jose.   From reading other

posts we should avoid Los Angeles.   Any recommendations as to best place to pick up I-210, to get around LA?   Thanks

4 answers to this question

Welcome to the Forum!

Pick up CA-210 in Redlands, well marked right exit off I-10.  It turns into I-210 in Glendora.  Watch out in Pasadena as 210 requires you to take a right single lane exit in a pretty busy stretch.  Stay on 210 to I-5.  If you're not in a big hurry, take 126 in Valencia towards Ventura and then US-101 into San Jose.  Otherwise I-5 and over the Grapevine to 152 over Pacheco Pass to 101.  Keep an eye on weather as the Grapevine does close from time to time with snow and So Cal folks don't do well in snow.

But you're not really avoiding LA traffic anyway, just the guts of downtown/405/I-5 corridors.

I am sorry that I missed this. There are two  very good ways to completely avoid the LA area that I have used as a trucker numerous times, but you may already be underway.

Depending on the time of day, you are going to be in heavy traffic starting in the Palm Springs area. I've lived in San Bernardino, Ca. since 1957 and the freeway congestion has gotten very bad. If you want to avoid heavy traffic, then you should jump up to I40 and travel west to Hwy. 58 in Barstow, Ca. That's where the 40 and I15 meet. Their will be a little traffic in Barstow, but nothing like I10. Take Hwy58 west to Hwy99 and go north. You can jump West on any highway and catch I5 north. Its a much nicer drive and no L.A. stress. Avoid I10 from Palm Springs at all costs.

OK I will try to help.  The previous poster is dead on accurate. Unless you have to go through the LA Megaopolis to meet someone or you ar a masochist, leave I-10 in the Palms Springs area and exit north onto CA 62. Turn north in Yucca Valley onto CA 247. Follow that route to Barstow. It makes a hard right in Lucerne Valley north to Barstow. Run I-15 south a couple of exits and exit onto CA58. Take that route west through Bakersfield. If you are one that can follow Highway signs (there are some that depend on GPS systems because they really do not like maps)  follow 58 as it exits CA 99.  Proceed to I-5 North on your way to San Jose.. By the way, I love maps. Will probably never have a GPS unit before I leave earth. They can get large vehicles into trouble.