dmichaelf

Base Plate & Tow Bar Recommendation For 2017 Grand Cherokee

I just bought a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 and need to get a base plate installed and purchase a tow bar. I'm towing behind my 2015 Discovery 40E.

Any recommendations for best towing system?

I am in the Phoenix area if anyone knows of a quality shop to have do the work.

I also used the Blue Ox baseplate and towbar but I got the dreaded death wobble and Jeep recommend I only tow the Grand Cherokee Limited on a trailer with all four wheels off the ground.   There is a huge thread on IR2.com about the problem and jeep is working on a fix but nothing yet. 

I towed a Jeep Cherokee 2015 for two years and over 10,000 miles and our 2017 for nearly 10,000 miles. I have never experienced death wobble but from reports it seems to happen when turning at slow speed in Jeeps without harness to keeps the steering active. I have always had harness and always go super slow in turns were road is bumpy.

So far there isn't a harness for the Grand Cherokee and the one that fits the Cherokee won't work on the Grand Cherokee.  Yes, most of the ones have been in a turn but now there been some reports of it happening at highway speeds.  We have had it happen twice in 7,000 miles and both times was in a turn from a stop.  Now Jeep has done CYA and told us not to tow the Grand Cherokee 4 down till they work out fix and who knows when that will be.  

Dennis.

Did you have a "Wobble" issue without the golf cart in Jeep?  Have you tried towing the Cherokee without the Cricket?