wolfe10

Torsilastic Suspension Parts

This post applies only to Safari and Foretravel coaches with the B.F Goodrich Torsilastic Suspension

GREAT news. Navistar, in buying out Monaco/Safari, came across a warehouse with a number of original equipment B.F. Goodrich Torsilastic parts.

Ralph Andrews who owns a Safari coach with torsilastic suspension and is very familiar with this suspension on the Safari products bought the whole lot. He owns Pioneer Metals: http://www.pioneermetalworks.com/

To determine if you need suspension parts:

Look at your shackles-- they attach the torsilastic beam to the shim stack (two rubber joints). If the rubber in the shackles is bad, the metal will no longer be centered in the rubber and will need to be replaced.

To determine if you need torsilastic springs, you need to measure your ride height AND count the number of shims in front/behind each wheel position.

FOR FORETRAVEL U225 AND U240: From the flat area at the top of the wheel well behind each wheel position to the ground (loaded as you travel, flat surface, jacks stowed) should be 32-33". If below 32", BUT you have shims left in front/behind a wheel, removing one shim (1/4" thick) from in front and behind that wheel position RAISES the coach at that wheel position 1/4". Shim count in front/behind a wheel position MUST be the same, but each wheel position can be different.

FOR SAFARI, contact Ralph Andrews for ride height specs for your coach. The concept is basically the same as for the Foretravels, though the measurement point will be different.

If you are out of shims or close to out of shims and are at or under the minimum ride height spec, consider replacing the springs.

If you need to replace the springs, I recommend 2 springs, 4 shackles, 2 installation kits.

FOR FORETRAVEL OWNERS: If you are in the Texas area, contact the Foretravel service about having the parts installed. Foretravel will not be stocking the parts, but Mike Grimes (Parts Manager) said it would be possible, if you contact him, to arrange for the parts to be drop-shipped to Foretravel and then installed by them.

For information on parts (he has a parts/price list he can e-mail to you), contact: Ralph Andrews: RAinSafari@aol.com.

Ask him to send you a copy of the Torsilastic Parts List. I will re-post when he has the parts on his website.

If you have questions on your Foretravel Torsilastic suspension, feel free (as many of you already do) to contact me: wolfe10@earthlink.net.

This is the first Torsilastic parts I have heard about in 5+ years, and suspect that the few he has will go quickly.

Brett Wolfe

Anyone know if Ralph still is suppling parts for Safari. I do need help in my 2000 32 foot Safari Sahara class A as it bottoms out on rough roads. I tried to go through the web address and I filled out the contact up page but it bounced. I tried to call but there was no answer or answering machine.

I have been wondering if I need to put on air bags since it does not have them and wonder what other Safari owners have done, especially if anyone has my model and same problems. I have had it for almost a year and am very new to this. My friend is a mechanic who has been helping me but we have not figured the best solution. Any help is appreciated.

Anyone know if Ralph still is suppling parts for Safari. I do need help in my 2000 32 foot Safari Sahara class A as it bottoms out on rough roads. I tried to go through the web address and I filled out the contact up page but it bounced. I tried to call but there was no answer or answering machine.

I have been wondering if I need to put on air bags since it does not have them and wonder what other Safari owners have done, especially if anyone has my model and same problems. I have had it for almost a year and am very new to this. My friend is a mechanic who has been helping me but we have not figured the best solution. Any help is appreciated.

If your Safari has the B.F. Goodrich Torsilastic suspension (also called Velvet Ride) Ralph DOES have the parts you need. And going to a new torsilastic beam if your old one is bad (normal symptom of bad beam is that ride height is too low AND you are out of adjustment shims) you are much better off replacing the torsilastic parts vs patching together an air over torsilatic suspension.

Use Ralph's e-mail address I posted above. If Ralph does not contact you, please send me a Private Message and I will contact him.

Again, the only problem is that there is a limited number of these parts found in the Monaco/Safari warehouse and there have been no "known" parts available for 5+ years.

Also PM me if you have questions about the suspension. I worked with B.F. Goodrich on this suspension on the Foretravel applications.

Brett Wolfe

In addition to this info Brett has supplied and an update. Ralph Passed away a couple years back. Pioneer Metals us still in operation in Quincy. They do not have any original torsion springs available. They are however still available from other sources. Ralph also developed a supplemental air bag system to augment the failing torsion springs that works just great...just ask me how I know.  They build the Safari Famous Tiger Trax suspension and ride improving components along with various and numerous other components.