accessmaster

Rapid Battery Discharge

I have a 2002 Travel Supreme motorhome with a Morningstar SunSaver SS-6 / SS-6L Controller. I have 200 watts of solar panels. This is an OE installation. I am experiencing a rapid loss of voltage in my battery bank which consists of 4 6V batteries that are in new condition. The drain only happens when there is no sun and the batteries are not being charged via shore power, engine power, or sun shine. The batteries will go from 13.1 to 12.1 in one hour. I cannot locate any item that could explain that rapid discharge.

Is it possible that the controller is the problem? ie: a reversing diode possibly? Any suggestions?

We will be at Perry, GA. Hopefully I can find an answer while I am there.

Disconnect the charge controller and see if it stops the discharge.  If that doesn't stop it then when the batteries a fully charged disconnect the battery cable and see if the charge remains.  If not then there is a bad battery.

A dead cell in one battery will effect all the others!  If not found and replaced, then when you go on generator or pedestal, you will start boiling the other batteries in attempting to keep a full or near full charge on the bad one!