Sign in to follow this  
dbenoit

"Infield" Camping- NASCAR

Never did it but we really, really want to. However it looks like it would a distance from NH.

So anyways we could use some tips on trying to set this up. Looks like Pocono is the closet

for infield camping. It has to be in the infield. Are these hard to reserve? Any comments would 

be greatly appreciated. Thank you, David

Years ago we did Daytona over the 4th of July race.  We were at the fence at the start of turn one.  Got the space through NASCAR.  Sat on the roof to watch the race.

That's exactly what we would like to do. Daytona looks like it is the highest $$ wise. A good travel distance but wth.

That must have been wicked awesome.

If camping in the infield it is Important to consider whether or not you want to party harty day and night, or enjoy the day and race but still get a good night's sleep. 

Depending on where you choose to park the experience will go from one extreme to another. We find that the cheaper the camping, the more extreme the partying. This tends to be true at most tracks. 

Pocono is a great track to camp at. We generally go for the RV preferred in the $350 range against the fence between turn 2 and 3.

Pocono is sold out for both races. Do you know how far in advance I should try

to make reservations for at any track?

I usually make plans and reservations in December for the following season. Sometimes I'm too early so they put me on the call back list as soon as sales open up. 

Did You call the track ticket office directly? Usually the have a few spots open ...

call their ticket office, they can likely find you a spot and will be happy to do so.

also, when you say both races are sold out, did you mean the end of July race too?

On 3/21/2018 at 11:01 AM, ianbullock said:

If camping in the infield it is Important to consider whether or not you want to party harty day and night, or enjoy the day and race but still get a good night's sleep. 

Depending on where you choose to park the experience will go from one extreme to another. We find that the cheaper the camping, the more extreme the partying. This tends to be true at most tracks. 

Pocono is a great track to camp at. We generally go for the RV preferred in the $350 range against the fence between turn 2 and 3.

It looks like I am waking up an old post but since it is close to what I would have posted, I figured it makes more sense to reply versus starting a new thread.

Out of the blue yesterday, one of my children suggested we go to a NASCAR race.  We live within a few hours of Michigan International Speedway.  Checking for this year's Firekeepers 400, only the infield camping is left, with all other on track options sold out.  I also notice that infield is under the heading "Party Camping".  I have not camped at a NASCAR event before.  It seems the question is answered already, but does the infield turn into a booze bash?  I am inferring it's not the place to camp with pre-teens and teens.

MIS is one of the tracks that I would definitely avoid infield camping at unless it's in the "Family Friendly - enforced quiet time" area. When they say "Party Camping", they are not kidding and it's pretty much an understatement. The parties go on for 3 days, 24 hrs a day, with super loud music, heavy drinking, trash and beer cans everywhere, etc. We were there once, would never go back. 

There are a few private campgrounds across the road from the track that might be better...

26 minutes ago, ianbullock said:

MIS is one of the tracks that I would definitely avoid infield camping at unless it's in the "Family Friendly - enforced quiet time" area. When they say "Party Camping", they are not kidding and it's pretty much an understatement. The parties go on for 3 days, 24 hrs a day, with super loud music, heavy drinking, trash and beer cans everywhere, etc. We were there once, would never go back. 

There are a few private campgrounds across the road from the track that might be better...

Thank you, ianbullock.  While that could be appealing to some, it is not what we are looking for.  Thanks for saving us from that!  I'll try and get a jump on the "Premium" spots next year.  This year, we'll just drive out there for the race and come back home the same day.

Keep in mind that there are lots of NASCAR tracks that have great infield camping as long as you stay in the higher priced, reserved spot, lots. 

Pocono and Darlington come to mind.