Sign in to follow this  
alanton

looking for a bus conversion shop , okc

I have a bus conversion in mothball a gmc 4107 buffalo I lived in full time , then part time , then I broke my back , the rv has been in mothball for 4-5 yrs I am trying to drive her home ,I cant find a shop for minor repairs like on west coast ,I know I need tires ,oil change radiator ect... and new tires now if I need an air bag or line checked then where , on the internet lots of shops listed they cant even handle small rvs , does anyone know a rv shop or bus conversion shop that is in the Oklahoma city area , not like I can go to a local tire store or repair chain  the truck stops used to have garages in the area , I run into fleet shops semi private ,  wow things have changed in parts of the country ,thanks for any suggestions

Have you looked for a Freightliner or Cummins Custom Care facility?  Give a call to Newell Coach, Miami, OK.  They might know who can help you!

Jefferson Truck, Trailer & Bus was the place to go in OKC. I believe they were closing down last fall, but you can give them a call in case the shop is still open or maybe someone ended up taking over operations. (405) 272-0213

For tires you should be able to use any of the commercial tires dealers. A quick search on their sites show that both Goodyear and Firestone have dealers in OKC. I've got Firestones on my 4108 and am quite happy with them.

For other repairs like the air bags and suspension components, your best bet would be to call around to the local companies that service the local charter companies and maybe even service the school buses. If you've got a local charter company, don't be shy about calling and asking for recommendation on service facilities.

I see that Detroit Diesel has at least 8 dealers/service facilities in the OKC area, a couple of them look to be larger facilities. Most of these places can handle things like air bags. You might have to help them locate parts though, as many of their supply chains will have no way to research part numbers on a 4107. Luke will be helpful for that.

Bottom line, there are lots of places to get the 4107 worked on in the OKC area. Just stay away from RV places, as they won't have a clue what you have or how to work on it. I have never taken our coaches to an RV repair shop, and I don't think I will until something specifically RV-related (like the basement a/c) needs attention.

I take our 4108 to Interstate here in the Milwaukee area. We took our 4106 to them before that. They are top notch, but it doesn't look like they have a location near OKC. Before taking the bus in though, I went to them and talked about what was needed and to start a working relationship. We started small with a safety inspection and fluid change. I wanted them to get their hands into things before dropping some of the more extensive work on them. Once they saw the bus and got hooked it was easier to get them to take on more and more work that other shops wouldn't touch.

It would be really great if you find a repair center that has some old-school 2-stroke veterans on their team. There are still guys being trained in 2-stroke repair since the military is still running them in lots of equipment.

Richard.  I did not think Military, my bad.  There is a large base just south of the I-40 loop in OKC.

I have very good luck with w.w. Williams, closest shop I found to okc is New Boston Tx., I use them for 2 stroke parts, and their shops seems to work on almost anything with Detroit and Allison trannys. The Birmingham Al., has a 2 stroke mechanic that is great. Hope you find someone that can help.