shaneotr

Gross Combination Vehicle Weight Ratings for Gas Class A motorhomes

Hi, I definitely have a dilemma.  I am trying to find out what the Gross Combination Weight Rating is for a class A Triton V10 motor 24K chassis weight.   Yes I know what the GVWR's are and  I know what or where to find the tow ratings.  However, the newer coaches no longer have a GCVWR on the stickers that show the GVWR and empty weights and all the other weights for that coach.  We flat tow and yes, I know that the Triton V10 with the 24K chassis will tow our 3300 lb Malibu,  but what exactly is the manufacturer's combination weight ratings on those type coaches.  Why are they no longer listed on the sticker weight ratings?  And if you want a real chuckle for the day, ask that question to a salesperson!!!  The answers you get from the sales staff or a manufacturers representative is to say the least....amazingly comical!  I even went to an Ohio State Police Post and asked them where to find the GCVWR and their answer was,  "don't worry about it, we won't pull you over and weigh you"!   Well, needless to say, that didn't help much.  I am debating the age old question of gas verses diesel and since we are not full timers, gas makes the budget look a whole lot better.  However, I do not want to be replacing brakes in the RV or putting undo strain on the drive train in the mountains.   At this point, all I want is a real answer.  How do I find or calculate the GROSS COMBINATION VEHICLE WEIGHT RATING for a class A gas motor home when that information is not on the information sticker in an individual coach? I do not feel comfortable towing any vehicle behind a unit without that information.  By the way, yes, we do have an SMI auxilliary braking system for our vehicle.  Does anyone have a straight answer?

1 hour ago, shaneotr said:

And if you want a real chuckle for the day, ask that question to a salesperson!!

Spent many years at dealerships, reading this sentence got me laughing :lol:. I can only imagine....those are the same people telling trailer people they can pull a 12,000 lb trailer with a Tundra :wacko: whatever it takes to get ink on the paper!

I did locate this;

UP TO 26,000 LBS. GVWR AND 30,000 LBS. GCWR The Ford Class A Motorhome Chassis is available in a choice of six (6) GVWR capacities from 16,000 lbs. up to 26,000 lbs. This wide selection of chassis allows motorhome manufacturers to more closely match their motorhome body to the required chassis carrying capacity. In addition, Ford 24,000 and 26,000 lbs. GVWR Class A Motorhome Chassis feature a very robust 30,000 lbs. GCWR capacity

https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/brochures/2018/22414_Class_A_Brochure_2018_ARLSD.pdf

Previous years should be on that website also.

Go here and select the year of your chassis. https://www.fleet.ford.com/towing-guides/ 

In the table of contents look for the section covering the class A chassis.

It will have a table showing all of the GCWR and GVWR values you are looking for.  

Apologies if some of the following you already know:

Keep in mind that many coach manufacturers will use up most of the weight rating leaving almost nothing for tongue weight.  Weigh your loaded coach at a truck scale to determine actual weight and amount of GVWR remaining .  

A toad four down will count against the GCWR, but not against GVWR or GAWR rear.  It presents no additional downward weight on the coach chassis.  A dolly or trailer will count against GCWR (full toad/dolly or toad/trailer weight) and GVWR (tongue weight only).  Both assume that towed weight has supplemental braking if over 1,500 pounds.

All of this assumes that the hitch capacity and max tongue weights are not exceeded.

Hope some of this is helpful.

To jleamont and dstrahm Thank you so much for the information and the links!!!  I have searched for that exact information for almost 2 years as we are looking for a newer RV to replace our Winnebago Brave.  She's been a wonderful coach for us with the M36 Workhorse chassis and a GCWR of 26000 and we wanted no less in a newer coach.   Of course we are waging the old battle of diesel verses gas and weight ratings have a lot to do with that comparison.  Since we are not full timers but do put on about 10,000 miles a year and flat tow, the information you have provided is essential to me.   Why the ratings stickers in the newer model coaches no longer include a GCWR (or GCVWR Gross Combination Vehicle Weight Rating) is beyond me!  Salesmen are a hoot!  Except for the one that sold my sister in-law a way too heavy travel trailer for her Buick to pull.  

Thank you thank you again!!  Why I didn't think of posting sooner I don't know but this forum is a wonderful wealth of information.   Have safe and memorable travels.