1996discovery

Cruise Control Acceleration

I have a 1996 Discovery with a Cummins engine and Allison transmission. When I set my cruise control at around 62 mph, it works fine for a few miles, then it downshifts to 5th gear and just starts to run away. I have to turn off the cruise because it just continues to accelerate.

Has anyone out there experenced any similar problems, and what was done to correct it?

What brand cruise do you have? Then we may be able to help.

Bendix and Eco were two common cruise control from that time.

Brett Wolfe

I have experienced the problem on my coach with a Cummins. The problem was a bad connection at the ECM that was corroded. The connector was separated, the terminals where cleaned on the connector and socket on the ECM.

The only problem since that issue has been when the alternator regulator has failed, but that has just caused a surging. The speed increased and decreased when the cruise was engaged. Speed up / slowdown repeatedly.

The other items to check are the pickup for the Speedometer and Tachometer along with the crank sensor, \but one generally has a starting and idle issue when the crank sensor circuit fails.

Rich.

Along with what Rich said do you have a Smart Wheel? I had a problem with lights and cruise control. It turned out that the Smart Wheel Control Moduel had two burnt connections. I had to change out the Module and the connector. I had a discussion with the factory tech and decided to put inline fuses to the two power leads to the unit. No problem with it since.

My module was located in the panel just in front of the left front wheel. (02 Monaco Dynasty).

Herman