garwf1789

Flat towing a 2018 KIA Soul

We purchased a 2018 KIA Soul base model with standard transmission 2 weeks ago to flat tow behind
our motor home. Both the FMCA 2018 towing guide and the one from the other major motor home.
magazine list our car as being flat towable as configured. Also, the salesman confirmed the dealership
sells several of them for that purpose.

The owner’s manual has no information on flat towing, which is concerning. I contacted KIA through
an online chat to find out what the necessary steps were to flat tow and was told by the representative
that he could not provide that information but would refer my question to someone that could. I have
yet to receive a response. I also contacted their customer service by email with the same question and
have not received a response to date.

Common sense tells me that after attaching the vehicle to the tow bar that you would place the
transmission in neutral and release the parking brake. I’m also pretty sure that you would have to turn
the ignition switch to accessory to avoid locking the steering wheel. The unanswered questions are do I
need to pull any fuses, start the engine every so many miles or hours and ,if so, how long does it need
to be run?

I found another forum on this matter but it related to older model Souls. I understand there were some
significant changes to the car in 2017 and I imagine the 2018 models are the same except for cosmetic
changes.

I would be most grateful if anyone can provide some guidance on this matter.

Flat towing 2018 KIA Soul.pdf

The fact that Kia appears to be ignoring you and the owner's manual does not mention flat towing are bad signs.  Just because previous similar models were towable, does not mean the same is true now....CRVs used to be towable, until Honda changed the transmission.  I'd stay after Kia, get their corp phone number and start calling.

In 2007, Kia issued Technical Service Bulletin 018, "Recreational Towing Requirements." The bulletin was updated on Jan. 14, 2015. The past few years, while compiling the towing guide for Family Motor Coaching magazine (now Family RVing), I have contacted Kia's national manager for product communications and asked whether the service bulletin has been updated.The answer has been no. The bulletin states that it is current through the 2015 model year. However, Kia's product communications manager has told me that he has confirmed with engineers that the bulletin remains accurate for 2016, 2017, and 2018 Kia vehicles. The bulletin, which is attached below, states that any Kia two-wheel-drive vehicle equipped with a manual transaxle may be towed with all four wheels on the ground behind another vehicle, such as an RV. The bulletin contains instructions for flat towing. 

2015 Kia TSB towing.pdf

Is there a wiring kit that does not require cutting the factory wires.  I have looked on line and have only found kits that splice into the taillight harness.  My previous dinghy had a kit that plugged into the connectors for the taillights.

33 minutes ago, Corvettelvr said:

Is there a wiring kit that does not require cutting the factory wires.  I have looked on line and have only found kits that splice into the taillight harness.  My previous dinghy had a kit that plugged into the connectors for the taillights.

Welcome to the forum. I used a LED wiring harness from Blue Ox like this.

http://www.blueox.com/towing-accessories/bx88267/

Bill