Sign in to follow this  
Debshaver

New to RVing in a Class A Motorhome- going to Glacier!

Question

Hi all,

We are new to rv'ing in a big rig - we have a Thor Hurricane Class A motorhome, 31.5 feet long, (gas powered), picture attached!  We tow our Buick Enclave. This fall, we are heading to Glacier National Park, and we're looking for any tips regarding roads to travel, or not! We are coming from Wisconsin via Sioux Falls, SD, and will camp at St. Mary on the east of the park. We know we can't make it up too many steep mountain roads, so are looking for recommendations as to the best route. Right now we plan to take Interstate 90 much of the way. 

We are also planning to leave our RV parked at camp and drive up into Canada to see Waterton and Banff. Anyone done this and have some ideas/recommendations for us? 

Glad to be a part of the forum and hoping to learn lots!

20170524_173644.jpg

2 answers to this question

Deb,

We have traveled to Glacier a couple of times and don't remember any really steep climbs.  I don't think that you will have any trouble on any route you take north off I 90.  The Going to the Sun Road will be limited to only your toad, and we highly recommend the drive.  Don't know what time frame that you are working on, so it is difficult to recommend things to see or do.  We have also taken our coach up to Waterford and Banff and would highly recommend Lake Louise and the rest of the Ice Fields Parkway if time permits.  Good luck and have a good time. 

Mike

Welcome to the forum. 

Just some thoughts, Mount Rushmore National Memorial is on your way and The Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument. Well worth a stop.

Are you going to Yellowstone National Park?

287 is a possible cut off to I-15

I-15 up to US-2, from US-2 you can pick up 89 in Browning to go to St Mary and the East entrance.

By the way there is a good source of information if you are going to drive up into Canada to see Waterton and Banff. (have your pass ports)

Travel Alberta West Glacier Visitor Information Centre is located at the West entrance.

You absolutely need to do the Red Bus Tour. It is about the only way to get a parking space at Logan Pass.;) The tours are informative and fun.

You can find out more about the park on their website. https://www.nps.gov/glac/index.htm

Bill