Sign in to follow this  
RETNALTD@EXCITE.COM

RV Park Safety

We are new RVers and I have some concern over safety in RV parks where there are vehicles moving with pedestrians walking. We have almost been hit a couple of times while walking due to the quietness of bikes, golf carts and autos. Please make a noise like beep-beep, or blow your horn with a little toot. I think all bikes should have a bell on them, at least. We have met great people, but their driving habits are questionable. Thanks.

I am intrigued by your suggestion of a bell or a beep. Consider an active campground with dozens of bells and multiple beeps first thing in the morning as people go for their morning air. Add to that the crescendo of dogs responding to the bells and beeps outside. Safety is indeed a reasonable expectation, but awareness of surroundings, bright colors, and perhaps carrying a big stick might receive greater appreciation from neighbors.

Happy Trails and travel safe.

I was once hit by two teenagers in a golf cart. I was walking my dogs and the cart came whipping around the corner, hitting me. It knocked me over & I had a bruise on my leg, that's about it. The CG staff removed the family. Ironically, my dogs (black labs) wear red blinking lights when we walk at night. Original intention was so people (walking) wouldn't be surprized or frightened when they got close & realized I had 2 large dogs. In this case, the cart rounded the corner so fast, the driver didn't react & hit me. I'm glad he didn't hit my dogs, they'd still be removing golf cart pieces from the guys behind!

Many CG's prohibit bike riding at night. I think an inexpensive flashing light is a safe, acceptable alternative

It is sad when common sense fails. All of our bikes are lighted front and back, my daughter even has flashing blinkers on her valve stems too. I always notify as we approach someone walking or riding with a "on your left" or "on your right" not notify them which side we are passing on.

Our bicycles also have headlight and taillights for nighttime use. We also have a bell on our bicycles though seldom have to use them except in the most crowded campgrounds. If you are walking in a campground at night, you should also be carrying a flashlight so you can be seen. Even with a good headlight, it is sometimes difficult to see walkers if they aren't carrying a light at night. Visibility is everyone's responsibility.

No matter where you go, there will always be someone in a hurry and going too fast. I occasionally see someone in a golf cart zipping along at what must be full throttle. If you are walking dogs and can't maneuver fast with the dogs, you'll have to be extra watchful and listen carefully to try to anticipate traffic. Children have no sense of danger and should never be operating a motorized vehicle. Most parks prohibit children operating golf carts. If anyone sees children driving golf carts they should call the office to notify them of the problem. It might save someone else from being injured in an incident like described above.

Unfortunately, the culture today makes children think they can drive anything. I have two grandsons, age 9 and 10. They both have motorized 4 wheelers. They are learning the hard way some of the hazards of these "toys." I only hope that they survive to adulthood.

I think vehicle safety is a two way street – no pun intended. But I would think that the one who is in danger of getting run over should be proactive. We use a flat LED light clipped to the back of our pant’s pocket when we walk at night.

Now if we can educate all of those clueless people who walk down the middle of the lanes in the Wal-Mart parking lot, I’d be happy.