Rusty757

Generator and shore power will not charge house batteries?

Replaced all four house batteries, but now cannot get the shore power or generator to keep them charged!  Also the GFI in the bathroom keeps opening when batteries rundown belowa certain voltage.  Only when I start the rv’s motor does everything return to normal.

This Fleetwood 2009 Excursion 40X is new to me.  I also have had two service calls from a certified RV mechanic, and he is stumped also,

Any advice would greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

Rusty, Welcome to the Forum! This is a typical way to wire the  4 6 volt batteries. Then depending on how the alternator or battery Isolater is wire in to charge them and the inverter connections add 2 additional ground and positive cables to connect.  

1BatteryWiringDiagram.

The batteries are charged by the inverter / charger when it is powered from shore power or the generator. The fact that it is not charging the batteries from the 2 sources of 120 volts could be the charger / inverter 120 volt circuit breaker is off or tripped. Did the  charger get turned off inadvertently at the RC panel? 

The inverter operates when the batteries charge from the Alternator.  So the large ANL fuse is good, if it was bad the inverter would not make 120 volts from 12 volts. 

Rich.

• Batteries won't charge from either shore power or generator.
  • GFI shuts down when batteries are too low.
  • Running engine returns things to normal again.

If those are the symptoms, sounds to me like you are running off the inverter for some reason. Possibly your transfer switch is not working and is stuck on inverter?

Can you shut off the inverter and see if there is 120v power anywhere in the RV when plugged into shore power? If there is power w/o the inverter, then start chasing down the 120v circuit breaker that runs the battery charger. If you shut down the inverter and have no 120v power at all, then find your transfer switch and go through the manual's troubleshooting pages.

Why did you replace the batteries to begin with? Was it because of the same set of symptoms or something else?